Need help installing sandpaper on Delta 18-36 drum sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have a Delta 18-36 model 31-255 drum sander that I purchased used. It was working fine but needed a new sanding belt applied to the drum. i purchased a 4 pack and have destroyed 3 of the sheets (at $7 each) with no successful sanding job completed. The instructions in the manual make it seem simple, load one end into the spring clamp, wind around the drum tightly and add the other end in the other spring clamp. Also it mentions the sandpaper will stretch so it will need to be tightened. First it is difficult to press the spring clamps while loading the sandpaper and the paper has no excess so it must be perfect and takes several attempts to get both ends trapped with the spring clamps. After an hour or so I have been successful at loading the paper but after a few passes, the end near the motor comes loose and destroys the end of the sandpaper.

What am I doing wrong or is the Delta drum sander just a lemon? If I can get a new piece loaded it should last for a considerable amount of time before the need to change.

I am very frustrated and can use any pointers that can be provided by other owners of the same type sander.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I've got a Performax 37x2 that uses the 3" wide rolls. Installing the paper is pretty much just as you described. Other than being rough on your fingertips, I've never had a problem. I don't use the pre-cut rolls, so I don't know how accurate they are. I buy the 70' rolls, cut a taper on one end, then carefully roll it onto the roller. When I get to the other end, I use a sharp knife and start cutting it along the end of the cylinder as I continue rolling it. Then I tuck the tapered end into the spring loaded clip, release it, and the paper is pulled tight.

Sometimes getting your finger around the end of the cylinder to release the clamp can be a little tricky. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

Bill

cyclopentadiene

User
Perhaps using the precut is my problem. There is very little excess, <1/4" on each end after rolling onto the cylinder. The Delta uses 2" wide but 4" would most likely work the same. Does Klingspor or Woodcraft carry the longer rolls that you described?

Sully

New User
jay
I used to have a Delta 18-36 or maybe it was a 16-32, I can't remember. Anyway, I used the precut rolls of sandpaper for it and had no trouble with it coming loose from the sander. It also loaded with the spring clips.

The only time I ever had any trouble with the paper is when I tried to take too much off in one pass. By trial and error I found that I could only turn the handle < 1/4 of a turn per pass.

J

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Perhaps using the precut is my problem. There is very little excess, <1/4" on each end after rolling onto the cylinder. The Delta uses 2" wide but 4" would most likely work the same. Does Klingspor or Woodcraft carry the longer rolls that you described?

I get mine from Woodworker's Supply, but Klingspor and Woodcraft also carry it. Also, Jay makes a good point about trying to take off too much wood at a time. For mine, I've learned (the hard way) that I can only move it 1/8 of a turn for each pass. Any more and it burns the wood. Here's another tip: when you run a board through, rather than run it straight through, angle it. This way you use the full width of your rollers, rather than constantly wearing down one spot on your sandpaper. Helps you get the most out of your paper.

Bill

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have a JET 16/32, so this may not be applicable to you rmachine. When I load the paper, I put the bare minimum under the clip at one end (furthest away from the motor). I then wrap it around the drum (leaving 1/8" gaps between the windings), and fasten the other end. I then go back, tightening the paper as I go along, and stretch it so by the time I get back to the first clip, I have a little more material. It's much easier this way, because in the first pass you can focus just on getting the paper wrapped, rather than trying to stretch, position and fasten all at the same time.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I don't know how the clip closest to the motor is on yours but on my sander the clip is on a spring/centrifical tightener type deal. It was a royal pain when I first got it until I cleaned and lubricated it well. Clean it and give it a good drink of WD-40 and see if that helps. It should rotate freely. Another hint: Apply a layer of Duct Tape to the back of the sandpaper at the ends. It prevents the tearing problem.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I don't know how the clip closest to the motor is on yours but on my sander the clip is on a spring/centrifical tightener type deal. It was a royal pain when I first got it until I cleaned and lubricated it well. Clean it and give it a good drink of WD-40 and see if that helps. It should rotate freely. Another hint: Apply a layer of Duct Tape to the back of the sandpaper at the ends. It prevents the tearing problem.

Great idea!!

cyclopentadiene

User
Thank all of you for the input. I will try these tricks to see if i can make this sander work properly. I think I have been making several mistakes that were pointed out and perhaps the biggest one is trying to take off too much material in one pass. I am guilty of the same thing with my planer and sometimes trip the overload switch as i get bored making so many passes. It sounds like the Jet is very similar to the Delta so i will try some of the tips that were suggested.

Asheville Hardware

New User
Asheville Hardware

Great idea with the duct tape!
I had a Grizzly drum sander and had the same problem with the spring tensioner being a pain to use until I lubed it.
Hopefully something here helps you get it working right. Good luck!

Scott

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have this sander,(the Delta). I use needle nose vice grips to hold the clamp for me. I cannot do it at all without them. They should help you.

cyclopentadiene

User
Berta, glad to hear that. I have struggled trying to hold the clip. It seems to take three hands and I have only tried pliers, the needle nose vise grip idea sounds great. perhaps if I combine all of the suggestions I can be successful. I have already destroyed $21 worth of sandpaper and have yet to sand anything after removing the piece that was on the sander when I purchased it. I had cleaned the other piese so many times that the 120 grit was 600 grit quality so it was time to change. I purchased the sander mainly to flatten rings for segmented turnings but have yet to use it for that purpose.

Shayne

New User
Shayne
I also have this sander and I use needle nose pliers as well. If I remember correctly the starting clip not only opens but also has a spring which allows you to pull it towards the drum. I use the pliers to open the clip and also pull the clip towards the drum at the same time. When I get the paper in there I let go which closes the clip and puts some tension on it. I've never had much problem with the paper, however I have had problems with the belt. From what I have read the belt is a common problem, so much so that I found a supplement to the manual which was published by Delta. I have not had much luck with the belt issue so far, I have just been stopping the belt after using it for a little bit (5-10 minutes) and moving it back over. Hopefully you won't run into this problem as well. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS