Need help identifying this log...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I picked this stump up over the weekend. The purpose was to hold my anvil as I like to dabble in metal work also. The anvil is 100lbs to give you an idea of the size of the stump. It is 24" tall and 21" across.

Anvil stand.jpg Anvil stand 2.jpg

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Looks like TULIP POPLAR due to bark, lighter outer wood and greenish core. Very well established species in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Mike, did you get any other wood from that tree? If you got some, try to split it. That will tell you in a hurry if it's sweet gum or poplar.

Roy G

MikeH

New User
Mike
Looks like the consensus is Poplar. I didn't want to sway anyone, but the people I got it from told me some logs were poplar and some were sweetgum.

Thanks for everyone's input.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Mike, did you get any other wood from that tree? If you got some, try to split it. That will tell you in a hurry if it's sweet gum or poplar.

Roy G

They were able to split the poplar, but there was also sweetgum and it stopped the splitter cold in it's tracks.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
They were able to split the poplar, but there was also sweetgum and it stopped the splitter cold in it's tracks.

So which species did you get? It may not matter for your anvil stand, but it was a fun wood id exercise.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Looks like poplar. Although sweet gum may be a better choice for a anvil table as long as it stays indoors. Ever tried to split a sweet gum log?

MikeH

New User
Mike
Looks like poplar. Although sweet gum may be a better choice for a anvil table as long as it stays indoors. Ever tried to split a sweet gum log?

I just grabbed the straightest one I could get. It must be poplar :thumbs_up and yes I've "tried". Its a tough wood.

Edailey002

New User
Eddie
It's poplar or ash. I can't see the heartwood enough to say definitively. If the outer part of the bark will rub off relatively easy and expose a light paper like inner bark it's ash. If not it's poplar, I'm pretty sure it's not a gum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS