Need help fixing cabinet door

Billm0066

Bill
User
Working on a flip house. I received a touch up kit from the cabinet company. They paint they gave me does not match, but the wax crayon thing matched well. The issue is I cant get it to sit smooth on the cabinet. We had to remove all the base cabinets to get rid of layers of flooring, and we damaged the toe kicks all around. I will need to make new ones so I was going to get paint mixed up and spray those. Here are my questions about the door.

I have an earlex spray station with the 2mm tip. I have sprayed latex before by thinning it for some shelving. It didnt need an amazing finish but did the job just fine. With that being said I have minimal experience using hvlp, but willing to practice before spraying the cabinet door. Here is my plan, tell me if it makes sense.

I only want to refinish the outside face of this cabinet and not the center if I dont need to. I was going to tape off everything but the outside face so I dont have to worry about touching up the dark gray lines. Green tape and paper the center. I have a festool sander and lightly sand with 220 to level it off and scuff it up well. Clean with alcohol. Then light coats of paint I get mixed at Sherwin Williams. Repeat coats until finish and color are smooth. I will test the color match prior to spraying.

Toe kicks im not worried since its below the cabinets so if color and sheen are off slightly you wont be able to notice.

Attachments

• IMG_8933.JPG
    IMG_8933.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 145

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I think you are going to have a color mismatch if you dont do the whole front. tape the gray stripe. YES it is a PIA but then light coats til a match or very close

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
IMO this is typical flipping garbage fix it as cheap as you can, get the money and run away.

I know you don't have a say so, but I would remind them kitchens are a huge selling point for a house & they will be further ahead to do it right & paint the whole kitchen.

2mm is kind of large for a finish paint coat, better for primer.

1.3 is what I use, and thin paint accordingly. I've used a lot of SW ProClassic & probably OK for what you're doing, but not an optimal choice for kitchens. An acrylic lacquer top coat will really make it pop and add a lot of value.

Billm0066

Bill
User
I think you are going to have a color mismatch if you dont do the whole front. tape the gray stripe. YES it is a PIA but then light coats til a match or very close

If it mismatches then the entire door will look off compared to the ones next to it. When they mix I will have them apply the swab to the door directly to see how well it matches.
IMO this is typical flipping garbage fix it as cheap as you can, get the money and run away.

I know you don't have a say so, but I would remind them kitchens are a huge selling point for a house & they will be further ahead to do it right & paint the whole kitchen.

2mm is kind of large for a finish paint coat, better for primer.

1.3 is what I use, and thin paint accordingly. I've used a lot of SW ProClassic & probably OK for what you're doing, but not an optimal choice for kitchens. An acrylic lacquer top coat will really make it pop and add a lot of value.

I do have a say so, I own the home. I’m flipping it.

I do real estate for a living and have seen plenty of flipping garbage. I’m making the choice the make the repair when I could just leave it. Market is beyond red hot and wouldn’t hurt me one bit. But I want it to look good and be right. my flipping garbage was almost completely gutted, permits all pulled, and a lot of very nice products/finishes used. $315k price point and my bathrooms are better you find in $500k+ homes. I could have saved $10k on this house easily by going cheap in many areas. These cabinets are all maple, maple drawers, dovetailed and soft close. Actually pretty nice stuff.

there is zero need to paint all the cabinets. Waste of time and money, and to what benefit? Factory finish will be superior than anything I can lay down. If I pay $3k+ to have it all painted by a pro and it wouldn’t increase the value to compensate for it. Cabinets are 4 years old. They were just dirty and one door had a couple scratches.

I’ll try to get a smaller tip before spraying the door. I will be practicing on scrap first.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Problem with forums, advice based on assumptions. I assumed by "working on flip house" you were a working for the owner and he was trying to cheap out on a remodel.

The issue spraying latex paint with HVLP is thinning. Some have to be thinned so much you'll get a lousy finish. That said it can be done, you have to get the right paint. I would try Pro Classic still needs to be thinned quite a bit. If you're SW store has a knowledgeable person, they can be a big help. 1.3mm tip.

Top coating with lacquer can help match the finish to the other cabs.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS