Need help finding a current riser block kit for an old saw.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
If you have a riser block kit on your bandsaw, please help me out! I'm looking for a riser block kit that will fit a Delta 28-245C bandsaw, built back in the 1990s. The Delta kit isn't available. I'm attaching pictures below. I'm mostly concerned with finding a kit with a matching guide post. The one on the saw is 15/16" diameter round rod with a crescent groove machined out for the locking screw. The pins on the riser block aren't an issue... I can drill them myself. Does anyone have a riser block kit that looks like the one pictured below? What brand/model? Thanks!

20190806_082933.jpg
20190806_083010.jpg

DavidK

New User
David
Good luck! I just added a riser block to my old Delta bandsaw which is a bit older than yours. . The only source I found for a 15/16" post was a guy on Ebay and it was pretty expensive. I ended up buying a grizzly kit and getting my brother to machine me a post.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Good luck! I just added a riser block to my old Delta bandsaw which is a bit older than yours. . The only source I found for a 15/16" post was a guy on Ebay and it was pretty expensive. I ended up buying a grizzly kit and getting my brother to machine me a post.

Dang I was worried that was going to be the answer. im not going to pay that guy $279 for a riser block for a saw that cost $165.

EXKid

New User
Mark
Have you any experience with resawing on that type of arrangement? My grandfather had a taiwan copy that it seems everyone has had at one time or another, and it didn’t work very well. I asked my dad for the riser kit for my taiwanese copy, and he told me to forget about it.

Having said that, I’m sure their patience level was rather low with the tuning of their saws.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I think I might try using a section of keyed shaft. The keyway should provide the same locating function as the crescent cutout does. Then I might 3D print the blade guards (library has free 3d printer) and use a block of ash for the riser. Or buy the riser block kit from Grizzly if I'm feeling spendy.

EXKid... I do know that the performance isn't great, but I expect it to be adequate.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Talk to the bandsaw man in FL. He can make this work. I'll think of his name by tomorrow.

FWIW, I may have one. What length do you need? It may fit a little loose but nothing that a good thumbscrew tightening doesn't resolve. Alignment is the issue. PM and I'll check later this evening.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Talk to the bandsaw man in FL. He can make this work. I'll think of his name by tomorrow.

FWIW, I may have one. What length do you need? It may fit a little loose but nothing that a good thumbscrew tightening doesn't resolve. Alignment is the issue. PM and I'll check later this evening.
Lois Ittura

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
new plan... i decided to use an available kit with a 7/8" guide rod, and I'm going to reduce the bore in the casting with a piece of steel tube. will report back results.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Update, in case anybody else is in the same predicament... I bought the kit with the 7/8" guide rod. I made little inserts in the bore for the guide rod out of 1"x1/32" brass sheet... works like a charm... the brass is springy enough such that I made them like a spring pin, slightly oversize and with a little gap, and they keep well to the outside of the bore. I put plenty of grease on both sides of them to stop any potential galvanic corrosion issues, but I don't think it will really be a problem. The riser block was easy-peasy to drill new location pin holes... just took some careful measurement and layout with calipers and a center punch.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors