Need Hardwood Supplier Brunswick County

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhuckster

New User
Bill
Hello all.... New here... Just moved in from 10 years in Vegas.

Woodworking for about 20 years but now am semi-retired and I'm gettin' serious! Here's my problem. While in Vegas I had a great lumber supplier. Here in Southport, Wilmington area, I haven't found anyone yet so I'm looking for help. I build furniture and custom cabinets and am also gonna try Plantation Shutters for the new house. I need a supplier for nice S3S Red Oak, Poplar and Basswood.

Any local suppliers or do I have to travel 150 miles for wood??

Thanks for you HELP!!

Bill

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member

bhuckster

New User
Bill
Thanks for the replies.... This is what I've found so far. Dean Hardwoods is out of business according to the internet. Anchor Hardwoods is a nice store with a nice variety of hardwoods but I went there and they only had about 5 Red Oak boards and I need about 150 BF for my upcoming project. They offered to get in more for me but I like to pick and choose and didn't feel I wanted to be obligated to take what they brought in for me. I asked them for prices and gave them my email address but they never sent me their prices. My next try is Meyer Deco in Wilmington. A friend of mine here called them and they seem to sell everything. http://www.meyerdeco.com I'll tell you what I find out. If anyone knows, let me know. You'll save me the trip! So far for my non-hardwood shop projects I've been buying plywood at HD in Shallotte. Their Red Oak lumber is rather pricey but in a pinch, it's convenient.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Some time ago I too asked Anchor Hardwoods why their website was so devoid of their lumber selection and prices. The answer was essentially 'those things change every day so we don't post them'. It seemed like a strange way to do business if you want customers.

joec

joe
User
I live in Wilmington, but have driven up to see Scott Smith over the last several years, as I have been on Oak for awhile. I have purchased from Anchor, and they had a nice selection and all was well there.

MGriffies

New User
Marc
There is a new hardwood place called Woodsie Woodshop on Market street in Wilmington and they have lots of unusual wide boards and slabs. There is a white oak slab about 6/4 by 36" wide by 12 feet long!! Lot of nice wood there and have a little more to choose from than any other hardwood places around Wilmington. I went to the grand opening last Saturday and it was nice.

bhuckster

New User
Bill
Well I made my trip to Meyer Deco in Wilmington. A friend of mine here called them and they do seem to sell everything I need. http://www.meyerdeco.com It seems that they are there to sell to the trades but they will sell to the public too. It reminds me very much of the place I used to buy from in Vegas. Prices are fabulous compared to Lowes or HD. They sell red oak S2S so it has to be reworked but that's fine with me. Got 2 prices based on buying 150 BF of red oak. They have boards up to 9" wide and that price was around @2.90 bf and boards 10" wide and up came in at $3.20 bf. Now that was based on the quantity so if you went in for a smaller amount it would probably be different. The place is huge and I didn't have a lot of time to spend but they sell cabinet hardware and I guess everything that they have in their catalog. Nice people. This is not an exotic wood type of store. I also asked about Poplar and Bass wood and they had great prices on both although I forgot what the prices were. I believe I will be buying from them in the near future. I'm designing a 14 ft x 8 ft wall of cabinets for my family room to house my 65" TV and all of the home theater equipment plus book shelves etc. Will be using red oak and boxes from red oak plywood. I did a similar thing in the house that I just sold in Vegas. It was fun and a ton less money than buying stock cabinets!! I've just gotten my shop in order so now it's time to cut some wood. I'll post some photos on another thread when I get some time. Thanks for all the responses on this one. I will also check out Woodsie Woodshop on Market St.

woodieswoodshop

New User
Woodies Woodshop (I'm Matt)
Hey Bill,

We just opened a new wood shop in Wilmington called Woodies Woodshop. Our website is www.woodieswoodshop.com. I launched the website this week so it is pretty basic. We are carrying (and am adding weekly) most common domestic and imported species in all kinds of different thicknesses, lengths and widths. We are also carrying turning blanks for wood turners.

Our address is 6845 A Market Street, just down from the Market and Gordon intersection. We are on the right (Behind Hanger's Cleaners) if you are coming towards Wilmington on Market. Our # is 910-350-3550 and our email address is woodieswoodshop@gmail.com

Hope you come in and take a look.

Thanks

Woodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS