Need fresh White Oak (24"+ Diameter) for non-profit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod

New User
Rod
I am looking for a piece of white oak to be used for building an apple press (cider press). Old Salem in Winston-Salem wants to make an 1800s authentic apple press and has approached me about a piece of timber.

They want white oak...24"+ diameter and I'm not sure how long. I don't know why it has to be 24" in diameter. There is only 1 apple press that I have ever seen that used a large timber for pressing and I don't know why they would want to build that one. I am going to check their drawings (assuming they have some) next time I'm over their way.

I am going to walk some of my land this weekend to see what's there, but thought I would post to see what's out there.
Thanks,
Rod

J

jeff...

You looking for a 24" diameter WO log cookie or a 24" diameter WO log - how long? Guess I'm wondering why WO it's open grain and has a lot of tannic acid - but then again WO is used for wine and whiskey barrels so who am I to question? Seems like maple would be a better choice but I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Open grain, but closed cell. That is why it is used for barrels, it will hold liquids for a long time without soaking through.

Rod,

If you don't find one on your place we can look here. If I have one it is yours.

Rod

New User
Rod
You looking for a 24" diameter WO log cookie or a 24" diameter WO log - how long? Guess I'm wondering why WO it's open grain and has a lot of tannic acid - but then again WO is used for wine and whiskey barrels so who am I to question? Seems like maple would be a better choice but I have no idea what I'm talking about.

They have asked for a log of that diameter and have requested that it be freshly cut. I need to get back with them and see how long they want it. It doesn't make much sense to me either, but I haven't seen their plans yet. The only thing I can think of right now is that they are going to build what some call a sausage stuffer type of press. The guy that approached me got the info from the "crafts department" or something like that...the folks who are going to build it.

I asked him to get me more precise dimensions and maybe some idea of the method to the madness, so-to-speak. I'm hoping they let me help with the build...or at least sit around and watch.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Rod, that sounds like a very interesting endeavor to be involved in. You should enjoy that greatly. Go for it if it works out.

rovertcv8

New User
David Sheuring
Rod, that sounds like a very interesting endeavor to be involved in. You should enjoy that greatly. Go for it if it works out.
Hi,
I have some logs that are up to 38 inches in diameter and are white oak trees.
I will take some pictures and post tomorrow.
PM me with email and I will send them to you
David Sheuring

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Since they want freshly cut white oak, I think they are going to split it out to make slats and beams. That's how they would have done it a couple hundred years ago.

Rod

New User
Rod
Since they want freshly cut white oak, I think they are going to split it out to make slats and beams. That's how they would have done it a couple hundred years ago.

The more I think about it the more I agree. I don't think they are neccessarily trying to make a holding tank...a cask of sorts. Though they will need that too I suppose. Nor would it make much sense to try and drill or burn the center out to make a sausage press type. They will need to build some sort of device to crush or grind the apples...then something else to press them.

Listen to me. I talk like I know what the **** they need to do. I'm going to bed now. :roll:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
The more I think about it the more I agree. I don't think they are neccessarily trying to make a holding tank...a cask of sorts. Though they will need that too I suppose. Nor would it make much sense to try and drill or burn the center out to make a sausage press type. They will need to build some sort of device to crush or grind the apples...then something else to press them.

Listen to me. I talk like I know what the **** they need to do. I'm going to bed now. :roll:

Nite Rod:rotflm:

Rod

New User
Rod
Open grain, but closed cell. That is why it is used for barrels, it will hold liquids for a long time without soaking through.

Rod,

If you don't find one on your place we can look here. If I have one it is yours.

Thanks Mike. I was thinking about your place today as I was driving to one of my wood guy's place. I drove in and saw 3 pieces of poplar he had set aside for me. Each is 8-9ft and probably 36" in diameter. I didn't actually measure but they are close at least. I don't know what its worth, but big is always good...ya?
Rod

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
no clue but I was thining the same thing - probably to split out with a fro perhaps and build the 'old time' way. something like Roy Underhill does.
I'd like to see the work through progress though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS