Need corner cabinet plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

gritz

New User
Robert
I want to build a small corner cabinet, preferably Shaker style, with a back wall measurement from the corner of no more than 20 inches. Does anyone know where I can find a plan I can use or modify for this project? I want the front to have a single cabinet door on the bottom and a single six or eight pane glass door on top with no open shelf between. I also want it to project from the wall about 3 or 4 inches before returning along the face where the doors will be. Has anyone built one like this?

Last edited:

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
New Yankee Workshop Plans (Google). Plan #SKU 113 looks somewhat like what you want. You can buy a video of the cabinet being built along with a set of plans. If that doesn't fit your need, drop back on this site and advise; I will then look through my plans books.

David Turner
North Raleigh, NC

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm scratching my head about your dimensions and made a quick rendition in SketchUp for discussion. BTW, how tall are the individual cabinet segments? If we get your basic footprint, etc the rest can be broadly fleshed out.

footprint:gritz.jpg

gritz

New User
Robert
Thanks David, that one looks too large. It has the normal four doors and no information on basic dimensions.

gritz

New User
Robert
Jeff, that is the basic wall dimension I am looking for. It will be built as one case, but to answer your question, the base should be about 30" high with a single door sized roughly 20x24. The top should be about 42" high with a 6 pane single door sized about 20x36. The shelves are as follows...base will have the bottom plus one shelf, and the top will have the bottom plus a shelf at each muntin. It will have a simple crown around the top. I'm working against a window casing at 20 1/8" on one wall so that is my constraint. I will likely nip the crown at the casing. It will look something like this, but in cherry...
pid_53844-Amish-Barn-Wood-Corner-Hutch-with-Glass-Doors-Reclaimed-Barn-Wood-Corner-Hutch-with-Glass-Door-405.jpg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Where did you find the pic of the cabinet that you posted? Were there any other details such as dimensions, etc?

I found a Shaker corner cabinet that's similar to your general idea but would need major modifications to fit your pic description. However, the overall ideas for the joinery could still be used and probably simplified to some extent. I'm playing around with SketchUp to see how it shapes up but there's lots of work to do which is complicated by the angles. Not a big deal.

I'll probably continue playing with it even if you don't like it. Do you use SketchUp?

Attachments

• Corner cupboard:Hack.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 160

gritz

New User
Robert
Where did you find the pic of the cabinet that you posted? Were there any other details such as dimensions, etc?

I found a Shaker corner cabinet that's similar to your general idea but would need major modifications to fit your pic description. However, the overall ideas for the joinery could still be used and probably simplified to some extent. I'm playing around with SketchUp to see how it shapes up but there's lots of work to do which is complicated by the angles. Not a big deal.

I'll probably continue playing with it even if you don't like it. Do you use SketchUp?

Jeff, Let me begin by saying that I have looked a long time for this item and actually purchased a similar cabinet. It was made by the Amish of old barn wood. After pre-paying and waiting 41 days with no glimmer of hope of shipment, I canceled the order, disputed the charge just in time and am waiting to get that issue resolved.
Now I have decided in my frustration that I can make one using cherry and refining the design to more of a clean and plain Shaker-ish look.
As for SketchUp...lets just say I have it on my computer. I was an old-school board draftsman and have used several design programs in my career as a builder, but I'm not sure I want to learn another one. I gave up on CAD.
I see this as 4 vertical pieces joined at 22.5 degrees and four horizontal pieces to form the frame. I have cherry ply left over from my kitchen for the two back, and will join them with an internal nailer. Then I just have to build the doors and shelves and add some trim. The bottom door will be a reverse raised panel, and the muntins will be 3/4" wide, lapped and rabbited on the back for the glass. All the other joinery will be M&T with walnut pins. I can see all of this pretty clearly in my head, but would like a plan to think by as I go because It will be done over an extended period of time and I may forget something along the way. I'm mostly a woodturner and don't do much flat work, plus I'm old and slow.
I appreciate you offer to work it up in SketchUp. I also have observed that you are probably second only to Fred in speed and could prolly do a design while I try to figure out how to draw the first box.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Robert, thanks and I understand your points. No problem. I don't buy plans and prefer to "SketchUp" my own using seat-of-my-pants thoughts. BTW, Dave Richards was my SU teacher so I've benefited from having one of the best.

Did you have a detailed look at the Hack file that I sent? There's probably no point in my doing more SU for your project so I'll cool my jets. Give me a shout if I can help along the way.

Cheers.

gritz

New User
Robert
Jeff, I played with Sketchup some today using the tutorials and think I can figger it out. Actually easier now than at first blush.

gritz

New User
Robert
However, I found exactly what I was looking for here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkU0dODjQZo
It's a very long series, and he covers a lot of extraneous material, but it all comes together.
Charles Neil thinks like I do, and works like I did as a builder for 30 years.
I already made a cardboard mock-up of the piece for my brides's approval, and now I have a method to implement my plan.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Google "shaker corner cabinet" and click on "Images".

Once you decide on the style, you can develop your own plans pretty easily.

I do this all the time for projects. The design stage is not for everyone but its a good skill to develop.

I've tried Sketchup but in the end I'm old school - drafting table, a pencil and plenty of erasers :)

gritz

New User
Robert
Google "shaker corner cabinet" and click on "Images".

Once you decide on the style, you can develop your own plans pretty easily.

I do this all the time for projects. The design stage is not for everyone but its a good skill to develop.

I've tried Sketchup but in the end I'm old school - drafting table, a pencil and plenty of erasers :)

Yep...after an Sunday afternoon spent playing with it, I've decided to remove Sketchup from my computer. Not because I can't learn to use it to produce an image, but because I can see things as clearly in my mind as in real time, so I don't really need it. I'm old school and used to close my eyes and visualize materials and subcontracted components as they floated into place in structures I was designing or remodeling. I know exactly what I want this cabinet to look like, I know how to make it proportional and the hands-on, check and re-check style Charles Neil uses makes sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS