Need CNC nameplate

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
am making a Deskset, Black Walnut, for a friend and tried to Scrollsaw the following, which started terribly, wont use it.

Dr. Bonnie Molina

The name will be like a desk nameplate, on an 11" W x 2 1/2" H and attached
to the deskset.
If its not worth your time, just say so, no problem, again Thanks

Pete

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
What is the thickness of your material? A picture or drawing of what you are trying to accomplish would help.

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
The Thickness is 1/2 inch
Attaching some choices of wording/Fonts but open to what you might suggest

Attachments

• molina2.pdf
    25.9 KB · Views: 140
  • molina1.pdf
    14 KB · Views: 112

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Molina1 would be a good choice for v-carve. #2 works for lots of things.

I still don't understand where the name fits into a "desk set".
DeskSet.jpg

I have inserted a generic picture of a desk set found online.

Is this a free standing piece? Is the name carved into the piece with the pen stands?

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
These are the pieces

Attachments

• 4D1021B9-259E-4035-8430-AFEF7A21B1D7.jpeg
    4D1021B9-259E-4035-8430-AFEF7A21B1D7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 117
  • 087A2E04-F9E4-48A8-B659-2235DAFD128E.jpeg
    087A2E04-F9E4-48A8-B659-2235DAFD128E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 113

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I think I understand now. You want the name cut all the way thru the 1/2" upright piece.

So that the viewing side will be able to read the name correctly. The back side will have the name in reverse.

Have you considered a laser? If you can send me a 1/2" scrap. I can see how many passes it takes to cut thru.

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
can you go only half way or less, letters will be prominent?
I can send a scrap along with the piece of black walnut, and payment if you wish.
You may utilize whatever works, and Thank you
Pete

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Now you have me confused again. You stated - "tried to Scrollsaw the following". That means cut all the way thru.
I agree that the name you want would require a special font to accomplish that.

I have inserted 2 pictures:
InsetLetters.jpgthis is inset
RaisedLetter.jpgthis is raised
The black area is the machined area.
Is one of these what you want?

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
I am sorry for being cryptic, I like the Inset version. In terms of Font, not tied to a Specific one, for instance, the Letters in the Inset are fine, or anything similar you may have .

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
To achieve a similar look with a scroll saw there are really two options. First you can do a simple inlay by cutting the letters and the plate at a slight angle. The angle will depend on the thickness of the wood and the blade kerf. The other is to resaw the piece of wood you are using for a name plate. The cut the lettering out of the top piece and then glue the two pieces back together.

Both the above methods require scrollable fonts as not just any font will do. Many fonts available through these websites.

Font Finder by What Font Is
https://www.fontsquirrel.com/matcherator
WhatTheFont! « MyFonts
https://www.fontspring.com/matcherator

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
To achieve a similar look with a scroll saw there are really two options. First you can do a simple inlay by cutting the letters and the plate at a slight angle. The angle will depend on the thickness of the wood and the blade kerf. The other is to resaw the piece of wood you are using for a name plate. The cut the lettering out of the top piece and then glue the two pieces back together.

Both the above methods require scrollable fonts as not just any font will do. Many fonts available through these websites.

Font Finder by What Font Is
https://www.fontsquirrel.com/matcherator
WhatTheFont! « MyFonts
https://www.fontspring.com/matcherator
Scott many thanks, my scrolling with letters leaves much to be desired

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I can use any font that is available to an Intel computer or any that are free off the Internet.
I would prefer that you name the font you want used.

The flowing script fonts you used for molina1.pdf would work very well for inset and v-carve:
InsetVcarve.jpg

Again cut area is shown in black.

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
I like it, works for me. Vcarve is fine.
Let me know how to proceed, do you want me to send the wood, payment, please let me know.
Thank you again

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
Hey Ken, finished the piece, on its way to recipient. Like to thank you for you help, time and excellent Carving, beyond my capability . Used the Zinsser spray shellac as you suggested, after first coat liked the look, so decided to not paint the letters. Few more coats of shellac and done.

Attachments

• molina1.jpeg
    molina1.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 108
  • molina2.jpeg
    molina2.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 110
  • molina3.jpeg
    molina3.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 106
  • molina4.jpeg
    molina4.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 112
  • molina5.jpeg
    molina5.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 113

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Glad it turned out to your liking.

I was trying to figure out what the tall stand (back right first pic) was for. DUH! cell phone

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS