Need CNC help

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I need a clover pattern and a groove line cut in 1/4” Maple Ply MDF core for two doors before I glue-up as per pic below.
Will pay.
1AC2B408-A8C7-41D3-A725-91BA51C9B17E.png

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Are you sure that wasn't cut with a laser?
What size are the panels?
What size router bit is needed to make the clover? or is it V-carved?

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
This tips look awfully small, and more pointed then the bit on a CNC would accomplish, that looks more like a scroll saw cut then a CNC. I've got a CNC but not sure I could produce that fine a point.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Also thinking scroll saw. How big is the upper panel? Are the doors already assembled?

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
You can get to a fine point like that if you use a 30° V cutter. You can do a V-carve strategy with the 30° and then pocket out the main part with a 1/4" or 1/8" endmill. If you didn't want the 30° angle along the edges, you can fudge the lines and just have the 30° V cutter just cut in the sharp areas and then make those spots vertical with a chisel. This is what I do to clean up the corners of a rectangular mortise joint when I cut it on the CNC.

I could do this for you but I am in Virginia.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
You can get to a fine point like that if you use a 30° V cutter. You can do a V-carve strategy with the 30° and then pocket out the main part with a 1/4" or 1/8" endmill. If you didn't want the 30° angle along the edges, you can fudge the lines and just have the 30° V cutter just cut in the sharp areas and then make those spots vertical with a chisel. This is what I do to clean up the corners of a rectangular mortise joint when I cut it on the CNC.

Thanks, that’s quite a drive for me.
If anyone closer can do that with a laser it will also work. I have not made the doors yet, and they will be painted once done.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member

hmm, didn't think of trying it w/ a 30V cutter, don't think I have that size or I'd give it a try and see how it looks.

SJWiehe

Steve
Corporate Member
I can cut it. I have a 4’x8’ cnc. I am in Florida until late next week but would be happy to cut it when I’m back. My shop is in North Raleigh just south of us 98.

Steve

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
I have both CNC and laser cutter. The laser has a much smaller working area.
Thus, back to one of my first questions - What size is the "clover" panel?
And how soon do you need it?

Ken

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for the great response!!!

Think I will give this a shot by hand with a router, template and some hand work, trying a sample first. If I do not succeed, will reach out for help.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
brad does all the emblems for our urns. I have a laser but dont know how to use it, bought it to engrave the urns rather than driving back and forth to morrisville. 5 watts.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Thanks to all for reaching out, much appreciated. I ended up doing these the old fashioned way, by hand and they came out nice and clean.

One thing I seem to never learn is not to procrastinate and think about how to do stuff, when I am not in the shop. Once in the shop, it always seems to just happen.

6FC1AB8E-14A2-4CFD-BD8C-81A774E7B1B6.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS