Need Baltic Birch for Car dashboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Wondering if any others know a good source for stable high quality birch ply? I am using it to veneer and cut to specs for old British sports cars.

ws_MG_TD_Roadster_1024x768.jpg

This is the car model. MGTC

PhotoGallery_Details_21_2469_2_1_.jpg

A dash done in curly birch
12550939.jpg

plain walnut above
1949MGTC018.jpg

Redwood burl dash above and below.
1949MGTC020_1_.jpg

Any tips on good quality sources in the Ral/Durham area ??

Dan​

Jeff

New User
Jeff
1/8" or 1/4"? The Hardwood Store has both in baltic birch (5' x 5') or marine grade baltic birch (1/4" or 1/2", 5' x 10'). They also have bending plywood (3/8").

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a bunch:
3/4 x 60 x 60
1/2 x 60 x 60
1/2 x 8 x 48 many pieces
3/8 x 8 x 48 many
1/4 x 20 x 96 walnut

Hunk of nice river birch for veneer

I would think a chestnut burl veneer would be better for the MG

I am going to watch this closely as I need to make some for my smaller MG dash

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Phil,

Your inventory sounds like domestic birch ply, not baltic birch. I missed something?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Dan, given that you'll be veneering it, would marine grade plywood work just as well if not better? Just asking.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phil,

Your inventory sounds like domestic birch ply, not baltic birch. I missed something?

I am quite sure the 60 inch pieces are the real baltic birch. The 3/4 is actually 19mm and the 1/2 is 12mm and it has a slight smell of vodka

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I am quite sure the 60 inch pieces are the real baltic birch. The 3/4 is actually 19mm and the 1/2 is 12mm and it has a slight smell of vodka

I meant the 4 x 8 pieces. The 60" is standard 5' x 5' bb if I'm correct.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I meant the 4 x 8 pieces. The 60" is standard 5' x 5' bb if I'm correct.

Your close, but keeping our educational focus, here is what is available in real Baltic Birch

1/8 3mm 5 x 5
1/4 6mm 5 x 5 and 4 x 8
3/8 9mm 5 x 5
1/2 12mm 5 x 5 and 4 x 8
5/8 15mm 5 x 5
3/4 18mm 5 x 5 and 4 x 8 and 5 x 10
1 25mm 4 x 8

Hope this helps

Touchwood

New User
Don
Wondering if any others know a good source for stable high quality birch ply? I am using it to veneer and cut to specs for old British sports cars.

ws_MG_TD_Roadster_1024x768.jpg

This is the car model. MGTC

PhotoGallery_Details_21_2469_2_1_.jpg

A dash done in curly birch
12550939.jpg

plain walnut above
1949MGTC018.jpg

Redwood burl dash above and below.
1949MGTC020_1_.jpg

Any tips on good quality sources in the Ral/Durham area ??

Dan​

Beautiful machine. I owned a 1952 MGTD I bought in Canada in 1954. It had a left hand drive and as I recall the dashboard was covered in leather that matched the seats. Sure wish I still had it!!

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Beautiful machine. I owned a 1952 MGTD I bought in Canada in 1954. It had a left hand drive and as I recall the dashboard was covered in leather that matched the seats. Sure wish I still had it!!

More like the one below?

1282.JPG

td_red_and_tan.jpg

Touchwood

New User
Don

More like the one below?

1282.JPG

td_red_and_tan.jpg

Yep...except mine was British Racing Green

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
1954? what did youtrade for it with, your Buck Rogers space gun or your collection of Romper Room puppets?

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Love the TC Dan!

Have you visited the MGExperience or are you a member? I’ve found it very helpful when working my MGB.

EDIT: answered my own question after searching membership st MGExperience. In any event, I’m anxious to see the finished dash covers!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Interesting digressions. The OP asked asked about Baltic Birch for a new dashboard in a classic MG car and he got a couple of responses but no reply by him (like, yes that's perfect for what I need).

The flip side is several MG owners discussing their past and present cars. That's okay, just an interesting twist to a simple discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS