Need advice on pricing some Wormy Chestnut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I acquired a room's worth of Wormy Chestnut boards awhile ago. I have used it for various projects, but nothing I seem to be making these days calls for it. So, I'm trying to value it and send it on its way.

It is a variety of boards. All 3/4" (actual) boards range from 2.3" - 6" in width (mostly) and 2' to 6' in length. It is a real mix. I have pulled all the nails and most of the boards have one true edge ripped with a sled.

There are also 6-8 6'+ sticks of 3.5" molding that would be great for picture frames , small boxes or furniture molding.

My two main reasons for moving it on is that there is a lot of prep work in making wider boards and many of the boards need a lot of trimming to get a useable board (the original owner RIPPED them out). It is just a bit more work than I want to tackle on most days. It is gorgeous looking wood and would be good for frame and panel work.

So, how would I go about pricing up and selling the wood? Would advertise here and on CL. I've seen prices for $250 a square foot to +$8.00 a bd ft.

It would be good if I could sell it in one lot. I really don't want to part it out a few pieces at a time, so minimal would be to make up some sort of bundles.

Any and all thoughts, suggestions and input are appreciated.

And since everyone likes photos.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Bundle all of it up into one lot and post it on craigslist. I wouldn't expect to get much more than a couple bucks per bd ft, but you never know. Start higher if you want and lower the price every week or so until someone bites.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
It will be worth only as much as someone is willing to pay. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder as they say, well so is value. It is a scarce specie which somewhat supports the price but you have to find someone that has a strong desire to have wormy chestnut. Good luck in finding a buyer.

Jerry

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Are you sure thats Chestnut? a lot of it looks like old SYP

Fair Question. I always thought it was, but maybe these photos will help sort it out. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Here is a finished and unfinished image. I always associated that open pore coarseness on the cathedrals to Chestnut.

Planed edge:

Planed end grain. Need to sharpen the block plane as it would not cut crisply.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Fair Question. I always thought it was, but maybe these photos will help sort it out. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Here is a finished and unfinished image. I always associated that open pore coarseness on the cathedrals to Chestnut.

Planed edge:

Planed end grain. Need to sharpen the block plane as it would not cut crisply.

you are correct! that certainly appears to be chestnut

Jeff

New User
Jeff
No help here on the recommended pricing but it may be better to price it as $/sq. ft. instead of bf. WC is rare these days and only available as "reclaimed" wood so the price is naturally higher; however, your stash needs a lot of work so don't expect a premium price.

WC flooring is available from these folks in 2 grades and dimensions that roughly match what you have. Their pricing is probably $/bf and you can calculate $/sq ft after dimensioning.

http://www.appalachianwoods.com/flooring/chestnut-flooring.htm

For example: You buy 5.25 bf @ $8/bf and 1" t = $42. Thickness plane it to 3/4" t (25% waste) and your real cost is $52.5/bf. That's $10/sq ft.

WC.png

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
No help here on the recommended pricing but it may be better to price it as $/sq. ft. instead of bf. WC is rare these days and only available as "reclaimed" wood so the price is naturally higher; however, your stash needs a lot of work so don't expect a premium price.

WC flooring is available from these folks in 2 grades and dimensions that roughly match what you have. Their pricing is probably $/bf and you can calculate $/sq ft after dimensioning.

Thanks for that. I am moving in that direction. I hate to do it, but I am going to put everything back on the shelf and when spring comes I will pull it, finish trimming it out, measure it and make up bundles. I am sure I wont get a premium price, but I think I will avoid some selling hassles if I do the above. Hopefully.

Onward and upward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS