Need advice cutting log slices

NCJim

Jim
User
My wife wants some edge live edge log slices for craft projects. I tried to cut some on my 12” DeWalt miter saw. I cut a couple but one kicked out and scared the bejeebies out of me. Any suggestions on how I can cut these safely? Maybe some type of jig to hold the log? I watched a video on doing this using a “Little Ripper” but I don’t want to buy a $300+tool for a onetime project.
PS: I want to cut 3"-4" slices

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
Chain saw and belt or disc sander? I did some like that for my wife, with about 8” diameter and 2” thick - disc sander was easier for flattening.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'll sell you this for $45. :) Good for the heart and no kickback. Does require sharpening.

IMG_3598.JPG

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
A long, long time ago I saw someone, somewhere post about screwing a flat board to the bottom and side of a log to make it stable for cutting on a bandsaw. be extremely mindful about where the screws are and remove the ones getting anywhere near the blade. Sounded plausible to me.

Howie

New User
Howie
My wife wants some edge live edge log slices for craft projects. I tried to cut some on my 12” DeWalt miter saw. I cut a couple but one kicked out and scared the bejeebies out of me. Any suggestions on how I can cut these safely? Maybe some type of jig to hold the log? I watched a video on doing this using a “Little Ripper” but I don’t want to buy a $300+tool for a onetime project.
PS: I want to cut 3"-4" slices
Resaw/Bandsaw maybe a member in your area.

Josh Bryie

New User
Josh
I'm with JRedding. Chainsaw, battery/electric or gas powered either way, and then use a sander. If it's small enough, you can run it through planer. No kickbacks that way, but you'll spend a little more time getting it smooth. That's how I do mine. I specifically bought a battery powered chainsaw for live edge slabs and ripping pallets down.

NCJim

Jim
User
I'm with JRedding. Chainsaw, battery/electric or gas powered either way, and then use a sander. If it's small enough, you can run it through planer. No kickbacks that way, but you'll spend a little more time getting it smooth. That's how I do mine. I specifically bought a battery powered chainsaw for live edge slabs and ripping pallets down.
Thanks Josh

awldune

Sam
User
If you are using a miter saw, they must be very small logs/branches? A bandsaw is the way to go. For a log that is very small and very short, a chainsaw will be difficult.

IME messing with milling small logs, it is often worthwhile to first make a flat spot on the log with a handheld power plane or a scrub plane. This makes it easier to make a straight cut and makes the log less inclined to roll.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
If it is big enough for my sawmill to hold tightly I will cut that free if the drive from Randleman is OK for you. Send me the dimensions if interested.

NCJim

Jim
User
If it is big enough for my sawmill to hold tightly I will cut that free if the drive from Randleman is OK for you. Send me the dimensions if interested.
Thanks for the offer Bob. I just have three logs 5" dia, x 12"lg. that been aging in my shop for over a year now. I think I will make some kind of jig to cut them with my miter saw.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I think I will make some kind of jig to cut them with my miter saw.
You just need a small board tangent to the bark fastened to one end to keep it from rotating. Then go to the nearest bandsaw. Rip a nice flat on the log and you’ll have a reference surface.

IMO, trying to use a mitre saw for essentially ripping a roundish object is very scary.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
How about a crosscut cradle on the band saw? Cutting round stock does require the stock to be secured in a cradle for best results.

NCJim

Jim
User
How about a crosscut cradle on the band saw? Cutting round stock does require the stock to be secured in a cradle for best results.
My band saw is a 9" and will not take more that a 5" log non have the power to cut it. But maybe a "cradle type jig may work on the band saw to keep it from rolling?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Dealing with side thrust loads on cylindrical stock is routine for the metalworking trade. Run a google search on the term: V Block

There may be some inspiration there for a make-do wood holding rig.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
I cut logs/limbs in the 5"+ range on my 12" miter saw pretty regularly with no issues, or at least I did back when I had time to ww. I use a 4x4 stop block clamped to the fence to set my thickness so it's repeatable and it also helps with keeping the cut end "square" and stable while cutting. I have used a 1x2 screwed to the piece if it wasn't perfectly round to keep it from rolling/twisting while cutting.

This one is about 4.5"

This was about 6" or so.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I made a sled a few yrs ago to do such things on the band saw

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS