Need a Trailer in Triangle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I have a customer that is donating a Southbend Metal Lathe to the Tech Shop Durham, https://techshopdurham.com/. They have a dedicated member, Dr. Chuck Britton a former teacher of of mine, that has a truck and can go get the lathe in Lexington, NC but they need a flat bed trailer.

Does anyone have one they could borrow? It should be a day trip I would think at most overnight usage maybe pick up the night before a return the next day after the lathe is delivered to Durham?

If you can help out please PM me or post here and let me know.

Here's a pic of the lathe:

01063101.jpg

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Phil, that lathe should travel just fine in the 8' bed of a pickuup. I have a Southbend 16" x 8' that is very similar to the one pictured, and it does not weigh that much - I'd guess 1000 - 1,500 lbs max.

I'd suggest placing a 2 x 6 board under the feet on each end to prevent them from placing a concentrated load on the bed.

Scott

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Phil, that lathe should travel just fine in the 8' bed of a pickuup. I have a Southbend 16" x 8' that is very similar to the one pictured, and it does not weigh that much - I'd guess 1000 - 1,500 lbs max.

I'd suggest placing a 2 x 6 board under the feet on each end to prevent them from placing a concentrated load on the bed.

Scott

my main concern with a pickup bed is loading it with a lift, I don't think there is clearance under the bed to clear to t side of the pick-up? did you end load and slide yours in?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Phil, there are several different ways that it could be loaded.

Obviously the easiest way is to pick it up with a forklift and back the truck underneath it. If it's in an automotive shop, they could pick it up with a vehicle lift and back the truck under.

If your only option is a cherry picker, I would raise each end about a foot and block it, going back and forth between them. Block it up to the height of the pickup bed (use very wide blocking), and at the last blocking leave about a 3' x 2' sheet of 3/4" plywood in-between the top of the blocking and the legs of the lathe, with most of the plywood sticking over the end of the blocking on the end that you intend to load into the truck first. When you have it blocked above the height of the bed, leave the back end on the cherry picker hooked up to one end of the lathe, with the lifting arm in line with the lathe bed. Next back the truck up to your blocking, with the tailgate slipping just under the plywood.

Slide the end of the lathe over plywood into the truck, allowing the other end to roll forward on the lift. Slide it the rest of the way in.

Clear as mud?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS