Need a source

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtdave

New User
Dave
I am looking for sources for pine and/or cypress for a good price. I need boards that are 4/4 by 7 - 8 inches wide. Wood should be clear or nearly so. That's pretty reasonable for cypress but not so easy for pine.

I live near in Virginia near the NC border North of Henderson and Roxboro. I am willing to travel within a hundred miles or so to get it if the price is right and I can get enough to make the trip worth while.

Thanks guys for helping out.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
For pine I would call Jack.

Murdock Building & Portable Sawmill
Rolesville, NC
Jack Murdock
(919) 669-1859

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Dave, for cypress ( or juniper) try Gates Custom Milling, Gatesville NC Gates Co. Tel # 252-357-0116. The milage might be a stretch.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Try Anchor Hardwoods off of Capital Blvd in Raleigh. (call them 1st)

I picked up about 60 bdft from them (4/4 8-10"wide) this past August and there wasn't a single knot in the whole stack. Great stuff!

Not sure what the mileage would be from you, but may be well worth it.

They also give a discount to DQ NCWW members.

Wayne

donbake1

New User
Don
Thanks for the kind words Canuck. We do give 10% discount to all NCWW members. Our standard service includes planning at no extra charge. We let you pick the boards you want and cut them to length for you. As long as we end up with a 4 ft drop, you can buy the length you need. We carry over 40 species, domestic and imported.

We are just inside I 540 off Capital Blvd

Don Baker
Anchor Hardwoods
6716 Old Wake Forest Rd
Raleigh, NC
919-790-9449

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dave, i have a few pretty Cypress boards I go from Scott Smith at the picnic. They are wide and clear. If you need some in a pinch I am sure we can work out something. Anchor Hardwood and The Hardwood Store are the most likely sources for the Pine.

Thanks for the kind words Canuck. We do give 10% discount to all NCWW members. Our standard service includes planning at no extra charge. We let you pick the boards you want and cut them to length for you. As long as we end up with a 4 ft drop, you can buy the length you need. We carry over 40 species, domestic and imported.

Don Baker
Anchor Hardwoods
6716 Old Wake Forest Rd
Raleigh, NC
919-790-9449

Next you need a place in CHARLOTTE.....

Don Baker
Anchor Hardwoods
6716 Old Wake Forest Rd
Raleigh, NC
919-790-9449

Next you need a place in CHARLOTTE.....

sgtdave

New User
Dave
Hi Scott,

I'm not in a bind. I actually have a few pieces on hand Igot from Hardwood Store some time back. Looking for a reasonably priced source closer by that will allow me to work on a project. I'm going to follow up on Canuck's advice and see what Anchor has to offer.

I like what they said in the post below.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hi Scott,

I'm not in a bind. I actually have a few pieces on hand Igot from Hardwood Store some time back. Looking for a reasonably priced source closer by that will allow me to work on a project. I'm going to follow up on Canuck's advice and see what Anchor has to offer.

I like what they said in the post below.

Lemme know when you go. I might want to meet up and go with you. I have a few larger projects my wife added to the "honey do" list.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I presume from your post you are looking for small quantities of KD cypress? If not, and you want to buy in quantity, (400+ BF) then I'd give Ivy a call. I've bought cypress from him that would grade Select right off the mill. He can saw to your specs for width and thickness, and his mill does a great job.

I dry cypress in a solar kiln and in about 45 days the MC is down to 12-15%, which is OK for outside projects.

Good luck. The Woodworking Source, Rick DiNardo is also a good source near Charlotte for KD cypress and many other types of wood.

:wsmile:

sgtdave

New User
Dave
Scott,

Not sure when I will have time. Still slammed with orders for Christams stuff. May be the week after Christmas. If that's not to late for you, we might go together. It would be easy for me to stop by on the way down or we could meet midway between my place and yours.

Let me know.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott,

Not sure when I will have time. Still slammed with orders for Christams stuff. May be the week after Christmas. If that's not to late for you, we might go together. It would be easy for me to stop by on the way down or we could meet midway between my place and yours.

Let me know.

I have no immediate need either so I can wait. Send me a PM when you have a schedule.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
How wood one such as myself contact Sir Ivy ? I have a small project for a customer that requires about 900 yes 900 lineal ft of cypress :gar-Bi:gar-Bi

Glennbear

Glenn
From the "Woodworking in NC" button in the brown bar at the top of this page :wsmile: :

Beaver Branch Portable Sawmill
sawing up to 24 ft. long
Ivey Pridgen
Burgaw,N.C.
(910) 259-4777
(910) 540-0705

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+$0.02. There's a lumber mill on VA highway 58 east of you. It's on the left side as you head east on 58. I believe that it is between South Hill and Emporia, but it could be a little farther east. Not as far as Franklin.

I have no idea what they produce or if they'll be able to help you out. I've also read good things from other members about Anchor Hardwoods in Raleigh.

sgtdave

New User
Dave
Thanks to everyone who replied to my request. I have some very good leads to work on so I am closing this thread for now.
I will let you kow ow it all turns out and what I learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS