Need a skid steer for 15 minutes in Charlotte

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I purchased a milling machine from a friend off Ray Road in Charlotte. I need to lift the machine and bring out of a garage and sit on a trailer. It does not weigh over 1150 lbs. Is there anybody who could possibly help out ? Its too short of a task to rent a skid steer, i'd rather pay somebody to get the job done. Time and choice of day would be up to the guy with the goods/skidsteer. I've got about 2 to 3 weeks to get it done.
Thanx, Greg

Jim Roche

jim
User
Depending how far in the garage it is, you may be able to hire a roll back. I've heard of guys going this route and worked out for them. Usually you can book them for a reasonable price early on a Sunday morning when there's not a lot going on.

Good Luck,

Jim

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
We are using a rollback style trailer but the machine is in a bay on the backside of the building. It's all grass so i need to bring the machine around with a wheeled skid steer so not to destroy the yard in the process. Thanx Jim

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Is there a hard surface to roll on? Maybe a heavy duty pallet jack would get it from where it is to where the rollback can get it. I once worked for a machine manufacturing company. Many milling machines and other machine tools were moved around and in and out of the building this way, because the door wasn't big enough for a forklift to enter. Once out of the building, the nearby lumber yard provided the forklift for loading and unloading from the truck/trailer. Skidsteers weren't available back then.

Another possibility is to contact a rigging company, that specializes in moving heavy machinery. Here are 3 in Charlotte.

Charley

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I've been rigging various types of heavy equipment most of my life and I know from putting this machine in the building that there is a good easy way to get it around to the driveway and the skidsteer is the ticket. No way I'm paying a rigging crew at today's prices for 15 minutes of work. The biggest drawback is that I'm from Mooresville and can only haul one trailer at a time or I would use my own JD tractor to move it. Thanx for the info Charlie.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I've been rigging various types of heavy equipment most of my life and I know from putting this machine in the building that there is a good easy way to get it around to the driveway and the skidsteer is the ticket. No way I'm paying a rigging crew at today's prices for 15 minutes of work. The biggest drawback is that I'm from Mooresville and can only haul one trailer at a time or I would use my own JD tractor to move it. Thanx for the info Charlie.
Borrow, or rent a engine hoist. Set it up at home to loft mill out of trailer when you get it there. Take tractor with you to load mill. Get mill home, unload it with engine hoist, then go back and get tractor.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Borrow, or rent a engine hoist. Set it up at home to loft mill out of trailer when you get it there. Take tractor with you to load mill. Get mill home, unload it with engine hoist, then go back and get tractor.
I moved a 550 pound lathe with a garage crane - essentially an engine hoist by myself.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
The height of this milling machine is also a major factor. It traveled better the first time when hanging from the factory cast C/L lifting ring.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
How much would it cost to rent a trailer from U-Haul for a day to handle the mill? You must know some one who could drive second trailer home for you. I wouldn't want a skid steer on my yard, they leave a MESS when turning! I know, as water line contractor parked their equipment ( with our permission) in gravel drive of rental house. Cat track hoes ( 3 of them )didn't make as big a mess as skid steers.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
How much would it cost to rent a trailer from U-Haul for a day to handle the mill? You must know some one who could drive second trailer home for you. I wouldn't want a skid steer on my yard, they leave a MESS when turning! I know, as water line contractor parked their equipment ( with our permission) in gravel drive of rental house. Cat track hoes ( 3 of them )didn't make as big a mess as skid steers.
+1 on skid steers and grass, especially as wet as it is now. They don't get along very well unless you're going in a straight line. Rubber tracks would be better, small fork lift or skytrak would be best but probably cost prohibitive. Also, skid steers are rather jerky when turning so unless the mill is strapped and palletized well it could tip over.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Dennis,
Got most of the potential issues covered by 2 sheets of 1" plywood plus 3 landscape matts that have been acquired. The only thing left is the current weather which I have no control over. I also believe we might have found the skidsteer owner we used on the install. Sure hope so.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS