Need a planer blade sharpening jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Folks,does anyone make and sell a planer blade sharpening jig? I have a 12" & a 13" lunchbox planer and a 6&1/8" joiner. I am willing to pay or trade with someone that is willing to make the jig(s) that I need to be able to sharpen these blades. I have not been able to find anyone local that can sharpen them and sending them out is costly enough that I can buy new ones for just a couple of dollars more. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Blade sharpening jig

I think that would work really well with the Scary Sharp sandpaper method.

It looks like a nice shop-made version of the Deulen jig which seems a little expensive to me.

To my lazy butt, all those wheeled jigs seem either too fussy or too bothersome to make. This jig sharpens two blades at once, not one like the wheeled jigs.

Last edited:

GarageWoodworks

New User
Brian Grella
Blade sharpening jig

I think that would work really well with the Scary Sharp sandpaper method.

It looks like a nice shop-made version of the Deulen jig which seems a little expensive to me.

To my lazy butt, all those wheeled jigs seem either too fussy or too bothersome to make. This jig sharpens two blades at once, not one like the wheeled jigs.

The problem with sharpening two blades at once is that you need two blades! My jointer has three blades, so that would require sharpening one twice. Is that really that bad? No probably not, but it does waste a little sandpaper and might cause your blades to become unbalanced relative to each other. You also can not adjust the bevel angle with the Deulen jig design.

The wheeled jigs like mine allow you to adjust the bevel angle and sharpen one at a time. It is a breeze to adjust the bevel angle and you can even micro-bevel if you want to.

I have a video of mine in action at my website. (use the scroll bar to the right to find it.)

Cheers!
Brian

GarageWoodworks

New User
Brian Grella
Hi Folks,does anyone make and sell a planer blade sharpening jig? I have a 12" & a 13" lunchbox planer and a 6&1/8" joiner. I am willing to pay or trade with someone that is willing to make the jig(s) that I need to be able to sharpen these blades. I have not been able to find anyone local that can sharpen them and sending them out is costly enough that I can buy new ones for just a couple of dollars more. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Gofor posted a link to mine already, but I thought I'd embed a video of it in action. :wwink:

[YOUTUBE]cg-COHKZvc4[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors