Need a new ROS.....the old debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I currently have a PC ROS, it's leaving bad swirl marks, spits dust everywhere, vibrates horribly and is out of balance. I am getting frustrated with it and have been looking at other options. I have two lines of thought, high end with dust collection or buy a couple of dedicated sanders for rough and finish sanding with another method of dust collection.
My current look at high end is first off Mirka and then FT. I am somewhat stricken after looking at many reviews and angles of this sander. I know the FT is good and then somewhere in between with the Bosch.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...21e269702d0676000ff7,57640ca769702d6593000171
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...21e269702d0676000ff7,57640ca769702d6593000171

Now the cheap out I haven't necessarily worked out the details, but probably a Dewalt or Rigid and something with a smaller stroke with the addition of an overhead fine filter.

So what I am asking for is reviews of what you have, other options and opinions and thinking outside the box.

What I have ruled out for the moment are stationary sanders, another cheap PC and yes I know about and have scrapers that I do use when appropriate and time permits.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I have PC, Bosch and Festool. The FT 125 is my favorite due to the great job it does on dust collection when hooked to my vac.

:notworthy:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have the bosch 65vc. It's a very nice sander, smooth, little vibration, and excellent dust control. Phil S was kind enough to lend me his FT sander for a while, and although excellent, I've found the Bosch to be equally good.

Note that I also have the bosch 5" ROS and while adequate, that one is nothing special

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
+1 for the Bosch 65VC. I replaced my old PC ROS with it and Wow, I didn't think it was that bad until I used my Bosch for the first time.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I think it works well, but most times I run my stock through my drum sander to get a jump on things.

W Burton

New User
Bill
I picked up the Festool ETS EC125 at the Klingspor show in Hickory this past Fall. I swear, I wasn't gonna ever pay that much for a sander (and dust extractor) But then I walked by the demo, and tried it. And they had me hooked. I have been through several Porter Cables, and they may have contributed to my need for carpal tunnel surgery a couple years back. The Festool has almost zero vibration compared to the PC's. And I really like how it stops almost instantly without spinning down. It has done a great job on whatever I have thrown at it so far. It doesn't bog down, leaves a good surface and my hands don't suffer with extended use. I haven't pushed it with removing stock, but I would bet it would handle that without any issues.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have both the Bosch and Festool. I also destroyed a Porter Cable before switching to the Bosch. The dust collection of the Festool is the major advantage. I rarely grab the Bosch. Both are far superior to the PC. Advantage of Bosch is that sandpaper is available most anywhere so I,can stop by a Lowes and pick some up. Festool sandpaper is expensive and the Klingspor is just as good. I Live about an hour from the Klingspor store so I need to make sure I have an ample supply.

The Festool Rotex sanders are expensive but, the RO90DX is well worth the $495 if you do a lot of shaping such as the seats for the Maloof Chairs I build. Before purchasing this sander, it took about 3-4 hours of rasp and sanding work to get a seat shaped with no high or low spots. Now I can carve with an angle grinder and carbide burr then go straight to the sander with 40 grit and work up to 120 grit in about 1 hour. No more cutting my hands with a rasp!

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Enjoy using the Festool. I had a PC which was more hand vibration, worse dust extraction. I'll second the Rotex models if you are looking for more effficient stock removal. For me, the rotex setting for stock removal comes up more often in home projects. Not having the experience of making a Maloof chair, I usually use another method for heavy stock removal while woodworking- planer, drum sander, hand plane, etc. I have used the rotex for efficient finish removal. I haven't used the Bosch to offer a comparison.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
How is it at stock removal?
Oh, with some 60 grit paper you can completely destroy a project in about 0.02 seconds. Sanding hard maple end grain only takes marginally longer.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I have a DeWalt ROS, and it works well, dust collection seems adequate. It has to be over 15 years old.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Bosch 1250DEVS, very smooth in both finishing mode and aggressive mode and when used with a vacuum attached it is dustless.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I used and wore out several Porter Cable 333 ROS's and bought a Festool ETS150/5 with a CT36 Dust Extractor about a year and a half ago. With it's 6" 17 hole paper and 5 mm oscillation pattern, it can remove mill marks and defects easily, but can also do fine finishing as well. It collects dust very well. I also was fortunate enough to get in line early enough for the $99 Pro sander and it is a very nice smaller unit that is perfect for final finishing -- at 5" diameter and 2 mm oscillations, plus the excellent dust removal, it is ideal. Both have good ergonomic handles and run quietly. Both also come with dust filter unit that one can use in place of a vac hose, but I prefer the latter. Finally, Hook & Loop paper for both can be purchased in Klingspor brand papers for lots less that the Festool fair traded supplies. The ETS 150 is also available in a 3 mm version and either costs $360 with a systainer included.

Excellent products, while a bit pricey for some, they will last for a long time.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Man, no one has a Mirka? I have been reading many reviews online and such about their superiority and in contrast the customer service/service time on them.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Put me in the Festool camp. The dust collection is unbelievably good and the sanders (I have several) all do a superb job of stock removal and finish.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am also firmly in the Festool camp - I have a couple. Incredible dust collection. What I like most is the quick pad change, so I can go from soft for the curves on a boat to medium for flat panels and a hard for polishing. One Festool sander can eliminate a bunch of other machines from belt sanders to dedicated buffing machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS