Need a new hand held belt sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Harris

New User
John
I need to get a new handheld belt sander. Looking at the Hitachi 9amp 3x21 at lowes for $149. Anyone using this sander? What is the good and the bad? Never have owned Hitachi tools before. I wanted to stay under $150 if possible but lowes also has the Porter Cable 8amp for $169. Is the PC better? Any others I should be looking at?
Thanks

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
John, Big Sky Tool, next door to Hitachi's U.S. headquarters near Atlanta, has this sander reconditioned for $109.95. I bought this sander and several other Hitachi reconditioned tools from Big Sky and found them to be in excellent condition. They also have very reasonable and fast shipping. Here.

-Barry

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I own a couple three of the PC 3X21 sanders. They are work horses! Mine all came from pawn shops, and cost in the $60-$75 dollar range. Plus they are "Made in the USA" machines.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Hitachi makes a very good tool. Starting to see some show up on construction sites also. I have a Ridgid. It does a very good job.

Last edited:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
What do you intend to do with it? Is 3" wide enough, or should you consider a 4" sander? A 4" makes quick work of leveling a table top. Of course, you need to brace yourself when you turn it on and put it on the wood.

Roy G

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Another vote for checking pawn shops. I have purchased both new and used tools from some shops. I have a Bosch that has served well for a lot of years. Have had to replace the graphite platen but a fine tool. With variable speed as well.
Had a PC in past years and was given good service from them too.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Transverse mounted motors on portable belt sanders make them unstable compared to an in line motor like the old Porter Cable 503. A 4" wide base is much more stable than a 3" wide base and thus, the 4" sanders have a better reputation of good sanding results. The width of the motor is pretty close to the same on both the 3" and the 4" sanders. I mention this in case there's a cost-effective buy on a 4x24 sander in your future.

As to general use on smaller surfaces, the 3x24 size is what I use mostly because the sander is relatively lighter and the abrasive belts are less expensive, but when it comes to larger panels, the 4" wide sander is my go-to.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have a 3x21 belt sander with variable speed (Ryobi) but rarely use it. Modern ROSs are about as fast (I have both 5 and 6 inch DeWalts) and their paper doesn't go bad. I've had bad luck with belts failing at the joint then they get old. There are a few newer ROSs (Bosch and Festool) with more aggressive modes that are faster than a belt sander, I believe. The Bosch is the cheapest at about $250.

At your price point I would look at a 6 inch ROS. You won't lose much speed (probably faster than your little Ryobi) and it will be easier to control and the paper will last indefinitely. Even a good 5 inch is pretty fast and is a very useful machine. If I was to buy one today I would look hard at the new PC.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Just to be clear, my issue with a belt sander is I keep the belts around a year or more (I buy in bulk to keep the price down) and then they fail at the glue joint. They can be cleaned and used a long time if the glue joint doesn't fail. I have never successfully cleaned a ROS sanding disk so they do require replacement more often but boxes of the discs that are 5-10 years old still work fine when I go to get one. That is not my experience with belts for a belt sander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS