Need a gun safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
OK folks,this ain't got nothin ta do with wood,but I am looking for a metal gun safe for the misses son.I can't afford to spend a great deal on one,maybe around 100.00 to 200.00 max.so if someone knows where I can get a used one or they have one they want to get rid of,just PM me if you would.It doesn't have to be fancy an can be a little on the rough side.So if anybody can help out I would appreciate it.OH it would be for rifles and handguns.Thanks

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
wally world and HF have cheap ones. if you want to keep thieves out I don't recomend these. if it is to keep kids out these safes would be no more safe than a keyed lock on the closet.:cool: A keyed lock and dead bolt would be under 30 dollars. If I were to go this route I would also get trigger locks for each firearm. better safe than sorry.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
One of those worksite tool boxes with a good padlock is better than the cheap gun storage cabinet.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
wally world and HF have cheap ones. if you want to keep thieves out I don't recomend these. if it is to keep kids out these safes would be no more safe than a keyed lock on the closet.:cool:

I'm not sure I agree with those statements. First, most theft crimes are crimes of opportunity. A thief is going to pick up whatever he can get to easily, carry and pawn quickly. He/she wants to get in and out and isn't going to spend much time trying to break into a locked safe. Unless the thief specifically knows that you have firearms in your house and keep them in a safe, he/she likely won't break in with the tools necessary to get into the safe (even a cheap one) so the ones from Walmart and HF will protect firearms from most thieves and will certainly keep kids out. One of the problems I see with relying on a keyed lock on a closet is that unless the closet is dedicated solely to storing firearms, you run the risk of leaving it unlocked (or the key stored nearby) for convenience (I don't want to have to unlock my bedroom closet each time I want a clean shirt). I think a closet door could be kicked in and destroyed much more easily than a cheap safe could be pried open.....even if it is a door that opens outward. In addition, a determined thief could always bypass the door and just kick in the drywall around the closet to gain access.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Was shopping safes recently myself.

IMO, the best VALUE I came across was the Centurion by Liberty, at Lowes. Best combination of weight, strength, price I could find for my purposes, plus it's got a fire rating.
It is, however, $399..........but if you deduct the $150 or so you'll pay for a "steel cabinet", it's "really" only $250! :icon_thum

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Thanks for the responses.This would be mainly just to keep his 6yr old away from them,even though he keeps them put up as best he can,theres always that chance.Unfortunately there isn't closet space to lock them up and the room is used quite a bit.I had not thought of walmart or HF.As for locks,they are designed for honest folks,for as we all know,if a thief wants your goodies he or she will find a way.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Thanks for the responses.This would be mainly just to keep his 6yr old away from them,even though he keeps them put up as best he can,theres always that chance.Unfortunately there isn't closet space to lock them up and the room is used quite a bit.I had not thought of walmart or HF.As for locks,they are designed for honest folks,for as we all know,if a thief wants your goodies he or she will find a way.

Just keep in mind that the cheap safes afford almost NO protection against fire. If keeping the little ones safe is the primary objective, then I suppose they're OK. But for preservation of your firearms and security, check the fire ratings. IMHO
:wsmile:

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
One problem with the "steel cabinet" safes, when it comes to kids, is that they are always a key lock, and a kid can always, eventually, find a key(s).
Add five years to the age of any youngster when it comes to "snooping ability", if a child is 6, he's actually 11 in "snooping years", ya know?

A combination lock is a better bet, IMO, far easier to hide a scrap of paper than a key that has to be produced each time the safe is accessed.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
whatever way you decide to go get the trigger locks and use them. If by some odd chance the child gets hold of your guns at least he or she wont be able to shoot them.:icon_thum

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
More important than any lock, safe or threat is knowledge. Train up a child in the way he should go and he will never stray.

We joined 4-H many years ago and when we moved out to the country we looked to them for help about training the kids to be safe around guns. Not just ours gun but the neighbors' and their friends' as well.

Unfortunately the 4-H target and gun safety program starts around age 12. I wanted my kids to start training by the time they were three. When you think they are ready to learn they have already been exposed for a few years. Three is that curious age when they are exploring EVERYTHING. If you have them properly trained to respect and safely NOT handle a gun by the time they are 4-6 then you can start to let then shoot a pellet rife and work up to others as they show maturity and interest.

The main thing is to NOT let it be a mystery or forbidden fruit, that will only intensify their curiosity.

Dragon

New User
David
Well, I've left this thread alone for a time and now I'll weigh in. When my eldest son was 3, (he's now close enough to call it 21), he was always pestering me about my guns and wanting to "help" me with them. For his 3rd birthday, I took him shooting. Among the guns he got to personally pull the trigger on were the following: .22 rifle, .25 auto pistol, .380 auto pistol, .45 ACP auto, and an AR-15.

He got to see what each round would do to an "action" target, ie, can of soup or beans, tomato, watermelon, etc. I had initially thought that the noise and recoil would intimidate him to the point he'd e a little less likely to want to do that, along with my explanations of what the results would be of a bullet striking a human as opposed to a soup can or watermelon. He was suitably impressed, but not exactly what I had in mind.

He learned that guns, while fun and exciting, can also kill with no remorse. From that day forward, he never bother to mess with any of my guns unless he asked to go shooting and I was with him. Oh, yeah, at age 3 he was not quite capable of handling by himself any of the above mentioned firearms, so I was holding them and letting him pull the triggers. Let me be very clear here, at NO time was my 3 year old holding a firearm all on his own.

Once I took him shooting that first time, in a controlled and safe environment, and let "him" shoot Dad's guns, he was fine with them. The curiosity factor had been dealt with, safety issues drilled into his little head, and I never had a problem after that. Now, he can pretty much out shoot me with any firearm you want to hand him. He knew every part of an AR-15, how to disassemble and reassemble, and properly maintain by age 7. Today, I'd not hesitate to say he's a self-taught gunsmith and can and will astound you at a gunshow.

Point here? TEACH your children about guns and gun safety. That act itself will do far more than all the locks and safes ever will. Not all parents are as gun safety aware as some of us are. If you don't resolve that innate and natural "curiosity" in a controlled and safe environment, you risk them doing their own discoveries in a manner that you wouldn't be proud to tell the world about.

That being said, lock up your guns if you will to keep the kids away, but I'd much rather your kid have access to it and KNOW how to use it just in case he/she ever needs to to defend themselves or even you. As for a cheap safe, Wal Mart or try checking out the IWANNA or maybe Craig's list.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Well, I've left this thread alone for a time and now I'll weigh in. When my eldest son was 3, (he's now close enough to call it 21), he was always pestering me about my guns and wanting to "help" me with them. For his 3rd birthday, I took him shooting. Among the guns he got to personally pull the trigger on were the following: .22 rifle, .25 auto pistol, .380 auto pistol, .45 ACP auto, and an AR-15.

He got to see what each round would do to an "action" target, ie, can of soup or beans, tomato, watermelon, etc. I had initially thought that the noise and recoil would intimidate him to the point he'd e a little less likely to want to do that, along with my explanations of what the results would be of a bullet striking a human as opposed to a soup can or watermelon. He was suitably impressed, but not exactly what I had in mind.

He learned that guns, while fun and exciting, can also kill with no remorse. From that day forward, he never bother to mess with any of my guns unless he asked to go shooting and I was with him. Oh, yeah, at age 3 he was not quite capable of handling by himself any of the above mentioned firearms, so I was holding them and letting him pull the triggers. Let me be very clear here, at NO time was my 3 year old holding a firearm all on his own.

Once I took him shooting that first time, in a controlled and safe environment, and let "him" shoot Dad's guns, he was fine with them. The curiosity factor had been dealt with, safety issues drilled into his little head, and I never had a problem after that. Now, he can pretty much out shoot me with any firearm you want to hand him. He knew every part of an AR-15, how to disassemble and reassemble, and properly maintain by age 7. Today, I'd not hesitate to say he's a self-taught gunsmith and can and will astound you at a gunshow.

Point here? TEACH your children about guns and gun safety. That act itself will do far more than all the locks and safes ever will. Not all parents are as gun safety aware as some of us are. If you don't resolve that innate and natural "curiosity" in a controlled and safe environment, you risk them doing their own discoveries in a manner that you wouldn't be proud to tell the world about.

That being said, lock up your guns if you will to keep the kids away, but I'd much rather your kid have access to it and KNOW how to use it just in case he/she ever needs to to defend themselves or even you. As for a cheap safe, Wal Mart or try checking out the IWANNA or maybe Craig's list.

In addition... and getting cable and trigger locks from the mayor at city hall, I believe the high school here in Northern Granville county still offers a gun safety class a few of my boys took that class. You may want to check your local school district and see if they have a class

Dragon

New User
David
In addition... and getting cable and trigger locks from the mayor at city hall, I believe the high school here in Northern Granville county still offers a gun safety class a few of my boys took that class. You may want to check your local school district and see if they have a class

Hey, good point, I didn't realize that anyone gave them away anymore. One might could check with the local PD too and see if they have a "freebie" program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors