Need a cure for slick wooden stairs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

llucas

luke
Senior User
My daughter just moved into a condo with wooden stair treads to the upstairs...she has already taken a tumble (no harm done) when walking in socks, and her dog has difficulty navigating the stairs without sliding. I'd like to treat the stairs with some coating which won't be ugly or harmful to the oak. I thought about the "sandpaper" tread strips, but she wants to be able to walk barefoot without feeling like she is on an asphalt road. I know there are fabric treads which are available, but I was hoping for a paint or spray which might be less intrusive. Lots of products on the web, but was hoping for some local first-hand experience. Any suggestions?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
We have two oak staircases but have had no difficulty. We don't walk around in socks much, however. There are stick on strips that should work. I used one to make by Osborne gauge less slick.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you can get a finer grade of sand it won't feel so gritty and will still offer some resistance.

i used to go to a sand and gravel company and get the dust off the top of the separator.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Luke, have you tried using some coarse sandpaper (100 or 80 grit) to lightly scuff the stairs? Might take away some of the smooth/slick texture.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Why not put some of that carpet tread and put the nonslip rug backing on it and should not slip again.

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
try wiping them down w/ water, MS or alcohol - might have wax or some sort of polish that makes them slick. I have clear finished oak stair treads and no real trouble with slipping -never do more than clean w/ water

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Scuff them up, then recoat with poly with some white silica sand added. You will have to put some poly / silica in a small container, and keep it stirred, or silica will settle to bottom. When buying sand, sift it through a flour sifter to remove large pieces. Sherwin Williams, Duron, Pittsburg Paint stores will most likely have a ready made product for this application.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
We put those little carpet runners - got them at Lowes I think - on our wooden stairs. Mostly for the dog. Just use tacks to hold them in place. About six tacks will do - one in each corner and two in the middle top and bottom.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Google "non-skid" floor coatings. You'll see lots of choices. Also, go to a real paint store. They should have a non-skid additive.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is what I've been talking about - solved the problem completely - they're red on the up stairs and blue on the down stairs.

DSC_0425_800x532_1.jpg

Ignore the fact they need to be vacuumed right now. They're attached with tacks. Simple, effective and you can still see the wood.

llucas

luke
Senior User
OK, thanks for all the suggestions....she is still leaning toward not carpeting...so that means clean/scuff first as some have suggested....failing improvement, then some clear coat abrasive laden stuff. I found some spray-on stuff on-line which I will order and test it's effectiveness.....stay tuned for that report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS