Need 5/4 x 6" or 8" Ash 22' long

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Dennis: I've got some ash boards that are 2 X 6 or 2 X 8. They are 8'long, so length is no problem.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
22 feet long???? I am hunting right now for some 1 x 6 dried pine at least 22' long for a bent lamination pergola I've designed. It's proving difficult. I had a source in VA several years ago, but would like to find it closer due to fuel cost.
Good luck, unless that was a typo.

Dave:)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
IIRC, an 8:1 splice (i.e. 10" tapered or stepped splice for 5/4) will give the same strength as the original wood. If stepped, you want at least 8 steps evenly spaced and of even thickness graduation. This is the normal formula used wooden in boat building. You need to use an adhesive that won't creep, so PRG would be an obvious choice.
Can the person use spliced lumber?

Go

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The guy told me today he could probably use Cypress instead & a clean FJ would be OK. Says it's going on the gunwales of a boat his dad's building & wanted something durable. Of course, how do you define 'clean FJ'?
Thanks for all the info, guys. I'll pass it along.

MT native

New User
Jane
I purchased some VERY NICE Ash last year from Wall Lumber in Mayodan but I do not know if they have 22' long.
Jane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS