NCWW Special COD Preview (Big Pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Awesome job John. I love the way the grain flows across all of the drawers. It did a superb job on grain and color matching. How long before we see a pic of this COD in the pages of FWW?

D L

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Wow, John. That is truly a work of art. Gorgeous! Congratulations on all of your patience and hard work getting it done!

Chris

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
Nice John.

The extra time you took to grain match the drawers really adds a great deal to the piece IMHO.

So, my wife wants to know when you'll be ready to make hers?:-D

sapwood

New User
Roger
John the matchup on the drawer fronts are awesome. And the piece smokes!:cool:

Hope you are properly renumerated for your excellence :mrgreen:

Sapwood

JRD

New User
Jim
John,

What type of wood was this constructed from?

It's beautiful work and workmanship!

Jim

woodguy1975

New User
John
D L Ames said:
Awesome job John. I love the way the grain flows across all of the drawers. It did a superb job on grain and color matching. How long before we see a pic of this COD in the pages of FWW?

D L

Hopefully not long. :D

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Very nice work john. I can't imagine how many hours you have in that dresser. As mentioned above, I love your use of the same board across the dresser in the drawer fronts. The factory boys are not able to do that with a solid board! One little trick I will mention just from having put so hardware on, is that I often put the hardware on the lower drawers slightly above center. You can have someone hold it up against the case and stand back and look at it to get a good feel for placement. Very nice work!!

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
John,

I now how much time and effort you put into this piece and it really shows. Your design was well executed, the proportions are balanced and your careful selection and use of some beautiful Mahogany really sets the piece off. It looked beautiful when I saw it nearly complete ine the "raw" but the finish takes it to a completely different level.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Beautiful work John. The finish looks great. Hat's off! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I got lost in the grain matching, it just flows and flows. Superb job, I have looked at your album several times, love it more each time.

hannah01

New User
Joe
Let me just add another "Wow!" The search for that kind of perfection is what gets me back into the shop after a really lousy mucked-up cut. :-o

dave_the_woodworker

New User
Update your profile with your name
Great piece!

You said that the wood is old growth genuine mahogany. Does that mean Honduras or African? I thought the name genuine mahogany only referred to Honduras Mahogany but it seems that some lumber suppliers now mean African Mahogany since the Honduras species is so hard to get. The definition of "genuine" appears to be a little fluid. I suspect that a hundred years ago it only meant Cuban Mahogany!

How did you finish it? It looks very nice.

woodguy1975

New User
John
dave_the_woodworker said:
Great piece!

You said that the wood is old growth genuine mahogany. Does that mean Honduras or African? I thought the name genuine mahogany only referred to Honduras Mahogany but it seems that some lumber suppliers now mean African Mahogany since the Honduras species is so hard to get. The definition of "genuine" appears to be a little fluid. I suspect that a hundred years ago it only meant Cuban Mahogany!

How did you finish it? It looks very nice.

It was Gen Mahogany. All mahogany types seem fluid to me. Hard to really know. I just know my boards were close to 20" wide and gorgeous. The finish is two coats of blonde shellac, one coat of gloss lacquer, and one coat of flat lacquer to set the final sheen. It really had beautiful color all on it's own. :)

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
John,

Your COD is nothing short of a quality heirloom piece. The client should be very pleased that he / she has a piece of furniture that will stand the test of time and taken care of will outlive the owner. I am with you on the hardware, I think the client should have listened to you when it came to selecting the hardware but hey, who is paying the bill, right. Like the hanging corner cupboard I am making right now, the client wanted a dark color and I really don't like hiding the wood grain but as long as she hands me a check, it's hers to do with as she pleases. Anyway, very very very nice. You should be proud. I bet you actually will hate to turn it loose. It's kinda like one of your younguns, you have so much of you in it.
Mike

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well, the COD has officially been delivered and placed in the customer's home. They were extremely happy. :) I thought the peice would be large in any room, but it really fit it's new home perfectly.

Thanks,

John

Monty

New User
Monty
Cool! I know you're glad to get the space back in your shop. I was one of the few here who actually got to see this masterpiece in person. And feel it. :eusa_doh:

:lol:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
What...........no pix of the delivery? It never happened.:lol: Seriously, I know you learned a lot while building that COD and I bet our glad it is behind you now.

D L

woodguy1975

New User
John
D L Ames said:
What...........no pix of the delivery? It never happened.:lol: Seriously, I know you learned a lot while building that COD and I bet our glad it is behind you now.

D L
I just wish I didn't have to personally delivery it. My movers fell through so I had to deliver it personally. :(

I'm ready for lots of chairs now. :) It looks like I'll have a few more heritage peices to come, but I'm reserving my free time for the next while for my own endevors. The customer shaired the gallery with some RI folks and I've got lots of potential clients up there. One is interested in my upcoming Claro Walnut rocker. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors