NCWW response to COVID-19

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Troublesome, stressful times we are now living in. For obvious safety concerns, the annual spring picnic has been rescheduled to September 26 at the Seaforth shelter at Jordan Lake. The Board of Directors election and the Golden Mallet award winner will still be announced in mid-May but the raffle with extend until September 26.

Not being one to sit and do nothing to help during these times, I have been told that staying in my shop and not being out and about would be the best thing I could do. If anybody can suggest what I/we could do individually in our shops to help the medical providers, please let us know. Until then I will work on my list of projects and do so carefully - please no trips to emergency wards.

Stay safe, Keep those around you safe and God Bless everyone

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks Phil, I feel fortunate to have a workshop to keep me occupied. There is only so much time you can spend watching TV or surfing the web. Hope everyone stays safe and healthy.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I will not say, "I'm with you Phil," but I'm in total agreement. I have lotsa lumber and watts, and a million things to make, and not quite that many tractors to rescue. I feel rather happy I have no social obligations, at least for the next 30 days. Here's hoping and praying we all stay well and happy! Save a woodworker, stay home!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the update Phil. I have been asked to go back to work in the field for the next two weeks. I’m happy to have the work, but I do have reservations about going back to the job sites. That said, I am usually by myself in these houses anyway.
My father is still in the hospital and it’s not looking all that good for him. The part that’s hard is no one can go and see him. Me I’m going to keep posting what I can and when I can, in hopes that someone will be inspired to learn and make something.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the update and encouragement Phil.

My neighbor, who works in healthcare, borrowed a hack saw today. When he returned it, he said told me not to touch it for 4 or 5 days. He assured me he was 'clean', however. Scary stuff.

Turned 10 bowls last weekend, worked on shop projects today (had to remount a fan due to some sweet new-to-me cabinets). Chopped my first bowtie/dutchman into a rough turned pecan bowl today. Five more to go. Need some skills on chisels for bowtie/dutchman that I can't get on the 'Tube'. Starting on a 20" sweet gum burl hopefully this next week.

Be safe out there!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks Phil. I think this is a wise decision on the part of the Board. I'm so glad I have this site to stay in touch w/ my woodworking friends and community during these trying times. When it's all over I look forward to seeing everyone again.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Phil, thank you for the update. I, too, feel very fortunate to have some hobbies that I thoroughly enjoy and that keep me at home. I have enough wood for a few more weeks and the hardware I need (hinges, drawer slides) are being delivered shipped, so I am good to go. Stay Healthy my friends!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phil, thank you for the update. I, too, feel very fortunate to have some hobbies that I thoroughly enjoy and that keep me at home. I have enough wood for a few more weeks and the hardware I need (hinges, drawer slides) are being delivered shipped, so I am good to go. Stay Healthy my friends!
I believe that since this thing is so prominently airborne, everyone should probably reevaluate their dust collection efforts. It would be a distinct disadvantage to have a compromised respiratory system from shop dust and have to endure a case of this.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Probably a good time to straighten up my shop, sharpen everything and restore some old tools that have been waiting on me to find my ROUND TUIT. Maybe that last item will show up when I straighten up the shop.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Thanks Phil, these are tough times, but this decision is wise since we don't know what the next couple of weeks- months will bring. Maybe we'll make it a blow out celebration, getting all of the far corners of our group, like me, to make the trek down, up or over for a big group hug!

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
My father is still in the hospital and it’s not looking all that good for him. The part that’s hard is no one can go and see him.

Richard I am sorry to hear this, I wish and pray the best for your dad. Working at Cone hospital and with a no visitor policy I do see this and It is sad. It is night and day different there from a couple of weeks ago.

I can say, that those nurses are going to look after him. I have been married to one for 33 years but when i started seeing them day in and day out is when I really gained the respect that I have for them.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Richard I am sorry to hear this, I wish and pray the best for your dad. Working at Cone hospital and with a no visitor policy I do see this and It is sad. It is night and day different there from a couple of weeks ago.

I can say, that those nurses are going to look after him. I have been married to one for 33 years but when i started seeing them day in and day out is when I really gained the respect that I have for them.
Thanks Bryan, I’ve been getting updates a couple times a day. Sometimes a nurse and sometimes a doctor. I know they are slammed and I think of what they are going through stepping in harms way to help others. I also think of their families. I’d have to say respect is an understatement, but it will have to do.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Phil,
First of all, thanks for the update.
Second, thanks for rescheduling. I have put the new date on my calendar.
Third, I think a significant portion of the "stimulus" check may will go for raffle tickets.
Fourth, I expect to see another peak in COVID-19 cases around the end of April, first part of May. Three weeks to get the stimulus check, five minutes later rush out to spend it, one week incubation. Yup, last part of April, first part of May. I hope I'm wrong.

Richard,
Take care of the family and god bless. . .

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Well . . .

The "stimulus" arrived in my account this morning so I bought my first installment of tickets. I was surprised to find that I can only buy 20 ($100.00) at a time though.

That just makes the stimulus last longer. ;)

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
A Muse for the day ..........

Attachments

• Covid.jpg
    Covid.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 177

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well . . .

The "stimulus" arrived in my account this morning so I bought my first installment of tickets. I was surprised to find that I can only buy 20 ($100.00) at a time though.

That just makes the stimulus last longer. ;)

Thanks Bruce, this is a reminder to all that tickets are still available for purchase.

As a side note, I'll be announcing a few more prizes later today.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS