NCWW and Social Media

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
As human beings, each of us approaches problems and life in general, differently.
Some still enjoy text chatting rather than video chats.

I see our forum in that same vein. Some people REALLY enjoy it and others would prefer the information they are hunting for or the questions they ask to be delivered in a different format.
There is still an argument about what this forum's "deliverable" really is... I believe one of those things is to introduce our craft or enhance interest in our craft and provide a gateway for people to learn about woodworking.

Introducing Social Media... yes it can be cumbersome and it IS NOT for everyone...

BUT it can be a tool to introduce people to woodworking or help those who have interest in our craft develop the love that many of us have for woodworking.
Also I think we can open people's mind to the myriad methods and disciplines of our craft.

IF you ARE one who embraces and actually uses Social Media and posts to it regularly or perhaps you are a content creator please remember to use our hashtags;
#ncwoodworker
#ncww
#northcarolinawoodworker

This helps us enhance our social media and generate interest in ur site and what we have to offer!
We can see the links and put it in our IG (Instagram) feed, but more importantly people can use those tags to find cool cats like all the NCWW members!

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
hmmm I don't post regularly on FB (and never on other sites) but do answer some queries there. Never considered adding a hashtag (maybe because I am already posting in the NCWW FB group).

Might remember to do this - or more likely, will forget! #ncww !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (See I know how)

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had a FB page once - it got hijacked by some bloke in the UK and it took the FB Support Team over 6 weeks to get it back under my control. I immediately deleted as much information as I could, change the password and then closed the account. FB - never again!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
hmmm I don't post regularly on FB (and never on other sites) but do answer some queries there. Never considered adding a hashtag (maybe because I am already posting in the NCWW FB group).

Might remember to do this - or more likely, will forget! #ncww !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (See I know how)
I have to admit fault as well, I forget and it is good for us to remind each other to put the tags there that is if you want to pass this addiction along now rather than at the auction! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had a FB page once - it got hijacked by some bloke in the UK and it took the FB Support Team over 6 weeks to get it back under my control. I immediately deleted as much information as I could, change the password and then closed the account. FB - never again!
I understand that... again, only if you do and you are comfortable with it... I am mostly chasing IG (instagram) right now as that is some ripe ground for other crafts people and teachers.
Facebook tends to take care of itself with the caveat that those who are posting add some of our tags!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am Facebook user though sometimes I do consider dropping it. There are numerous people who are not forum members who are a part of our Facebook and other social media groups. Not being forum members they do not have access to our forum's classified or discounts. I have seen numerous post trying to encourage folks to join the forum but I do not think a lot have. It is their choice.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wish it didn’t have to be either/or where people picked. Wouldn’t it be nice if an integrated platform was available that allowed you to do all from a central point. Basically joining the forum family and the social media family together. I don’t know if this is available, but think we have valuable members and comments at both locations

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I wish it didn’t have to be either/or where people picked. Wouldn’t it be nice if an integrated platform was available that allowed you to do all from a central point. Basically joining the forum family and the social media family together. I don’t know if this is available, but think we have valuable members and comments at both locations
You can post on Instagram and have it automatically post on FB as well, but unless NCWW gets swallowed up into either FB, Apple, or Google universe, there's not much chance of an integrated platform the way you are suggesting (at least as far as I can see, which ain't far in the realm of social media).

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes it would, but there-in lies the problem.
The forum is a basically a text-based chat and over time has become more than that where you can share pictures and do a lot more than you used to be able to do.
other SM sites were designed with different goals in mind and have migrated to be more like one another over time so the lines are more blurry now than they used to be...

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
You can post on Instagram and have it automatically post on FB as well, but unless NCWW gets swallowed up into either FB, Apple, or Google universe, there's not much chance of an integrated platform the way you are suggesting (at least as far as I can see (which ain't far in the realm of social media).
You are correct HW and many people want (nah DESIRE) the separation - when ever the Social Media discussion comes up - you hear all the horror stories and the "I am only on "XYZ" because of..." then there are people making (or used to make) a living on one or the other of the sites. That is why I keep saying, "If you use it... help us" if not, no worries!

waitup

Matt
Corporate Member
Is there a thread for people to post their Insta/YouTube/etc. that they would like to share? I am dabbling with it and would love to add some local folks to my list of "following"

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is there a thread for people to post their Insta/YouTube/etc. that they would like to share? I am dabbling with it and would love to add some local folks to my list of "following"
you know what Matt @waitup that is a FANTASTIC idea - would you mind starting a thread? (I'll jump on it!)

ssmith

New User
Scott
Matt - would you want that info to be public i.e. seen by non-forum members? I suppose that forum could be limited to members only if that's a concern.

Another solution might be to allow members to list IG, FB, etc. account names in their user profile, visible to members only. Not sure if it's possible using the forum software or not.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS