NCWW 2014 Calendar Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
It's time again to start the Calendar Contest for our 2014 Calendar. This year we are giving Gift Certificates as prizes.
Due to poor sales in the past, this year we will not be printing the calendars but instead providing a PDF file which is print ready so that you may view or print it yourself, or provide it to a printing service to produce a calendar.
Technical requirements for photos are as follows:

- Format: TIF/TIFF, PNG, JPEG/JPG, BMP
- Min. Size: 1700x1300px (pixels) [this is not a standard size, but this is a min width and height based on past printer's requirements, with a little padding]
- Artist Full Name (First & Last)
- Artist Email Address (Not for print, but in case we need to contact someone)
- Artist Location (City/State)
- Brief Description (1-3 sentences)
- Photo may be created by anyone the member chooses but member must assume copyright responsibility by using private photographers.

Please pay careful attention to the minimum size requirement. In years past, this has been roughest patch in the submission process.

Contest is open to all members except the BOD.

Winners will be determined by vote. Top 3 vote counts in each category and top vote count in the cover will be issued a prize. In the event of a tie, BOD will determine the winner.

Entries may be submitted during the entire month of September [STRIKE]first two weeks of September (9/1/2013 - 9/14/2013)[/STRIKE].
Remember, we have 5 categories:

Cover Photo -& a prize to the top 3 entrants in Furniture, Turnings, Small Items, and Shop Items categories. A member may only win in only one category, but may submit multiple entries in any or all categories.

We will establish a 2014 Calendar Contest Photo Entries Album with all the categories for photo entries to be submitted to.

Last edited:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
In the past all entries have been posted for voting showing the makers name and number of votes.
I would think it would be better if neither were shown.
I know we're all honest and no one here would show favoritism but just the same . . .
What do you think?

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
+1

I think Tim's suggestion is a great idea. It had a lot of input from many very creative woodworkers and kind of represents us. Maybe the back cover could show the outreach trailer.

Charley

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Excellent ideas

+1

I think Tim's suggestion is a great idea. It had a lot of input from many very creative woodworkers and kind of represents us. Maybe the back cover could show the outreach trailer.

Charley

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I very much like the idea of using the Collaborative Chest as the front cover and maintaining the 3 entries into the 4 categories as the prize winning submissions.

Great idea Tim. That is the kind of member suggestion that the BoD especially appreciates. We can't run this group without this kind of insightful suggestion.

Pete, I also like your suggestion. We'll have to see what the web administrators have to say about the implementation of that though.

Thanks for all the suggestions. - Ken.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I love the idea of using the collective chest as the cover. Given that I am participating in this project, I am even more enthusiastic about it. However, I believe the collective chest needs to earn it's place on the cover through votes just like any other project. Hopefully the rest of the community likes this idea just as much and would show it through their votes.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I didn't participate in the chest but I also thought it was a given for the cover.
It represents a lot of what makes this group unique - wide participation, variety of styles, high level of craftsmanship, generosity with personal time and effort...
I could go on but I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

From my point of view, that makes it the cover.
There are plenty of opportunities inside the covers for individual members to compete for glory!

Of course, if we left it to the vote we can see whether others share this opinion!

As for anonymity, I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other.
Anyone who's a regular here will probably have seen the work posted when it was originally completed.
At which point they know who's it is.

While we're on the subject - I'd like to see submissions from the Outreach project.
They also represent something unique from NCWW.
Not sure how that would work, can someone who has photos from the project days submit on behalf of a participant(s) who isn't a member here?

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Any chance the deadline might get extended, it would really help me out if it got extend through the weekend instead of ending on Saturday

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Any chance the deadline might get extended, it would really help me out if it got extend through the weekend instead of ending on Saturday
After a short internal discussion, because we no longer have printer deadlines, we can extend through the end of the month at the very least.

cskipper

Cathy
I love the idea of the chest as the cover because it did pull together to be such a cool project. I agree with the anonymity if folks only enter one piece in each category. Otherwise, if I am torn between two pieces and see that the first one was the only one entered by a member and the second was among many entered by another member, I might be tempted to vote for the person with the one entry. (Hint - if you enter too many in a category you are competing against yourself!)

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Andy just to clear up a little confusion, are you asking that we enter name, location, e-mail, ect in the comments section when a photo is uploaded?

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Everyone, I apologize that I have not been following this thread lately as I've been busy elsewhere so I'm coming to the table a little late rather than being on top of things.

In short, I don't see us making any changes with regard to the display of usernames or vote tallies unless one of you all know of some workable solution in PhotoPost Pro 8.x to achieve such -- I can make names and votes disappear easily enough, but the effects would be Gallery-wide and permanent (which is to say no photo anywhere in the Gallery will be attributed to its owner and nobody, not even the Board or admins, will know who entered the contest or who won the vote (at least not trivially without a lot of digging through the database tables directly).

In a nutshell,, the issue is that PhotoPost does not appear to allow for the creation of custom templates that can be applied to just a single section of a Gallery. Rather there are two fixed global templates, and while each of them can be edited and customized in itself, the effects apply to the entirety of the Gallery area.

There is a remote chance that some middle-ground workaround could be found, but with no resources to call upon (even I don't have access to their developer's resources or support forums) it could easily take 50-100+ hours of digging through all the PhotoPost codebase to figure out what variables and structures and functions might be in scope at the particular moment that the various templates used by PP are eval()'d in an effort to try and find some compromise, but I just don't have that much time to invest in this at the moment.

FWIW, I'm not personally of the belief that it really matters as I really don't see any members here as being willing to NOT vote for the photo/work that they find most appealing versus voting on strict popularity. Nonetheless, I wish I were in a position to give everyone what they wanted regardless.

Sorry, guys and gals, as I really do appreciate the suggestions... and while I don't see them as essential I do consider them quite reasonable.

cskipper

Cathy
Ethan, thanks for the reality check. Your support of this site is definitely appreciated as most of us are totally clueless about the technical aspects of how the site works. Thanks!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I won't be entering anything due to not producing anything interesting this year and my camera has finally got to the point of pure utility without aesthetic appeal. In other words it takes crappy pictures now, white lines through the full width.

i do appreciate the kind words on the collaborative chest and would love to see it on the cover, so many people worked hard to bring it to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS