NC Woodturning Symposium.....again....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I would like to remind everyone about the North Carolina Woodturning Symposium in Greensboro October 5-7, 2007.

Here is the link: http://www.northcarolinawoodturning.com/

I have made my reservations at the Ramada and hope to see some of you there. I am looking forward to seeing the demonstrations and techniques as I am pretty sure I can learn something from almost everyone. I, too, am a self taught turner and the one thing I learned from that class was that I was not the best student and I was handicapped by not having the best teacher. My turning skill really benefited from instruction from someone who knew how to prevent the mistakes I was making. There is a better way to do most things....

I know there was a heated discussion in the previous thread on this subject and my revisiting the symposium discussion is not intended to stir that up again. I would just enjoy seeing my fellow NCWW buddies at a turning symposium so we can swap stories.

Hope to see you there!

nelsone

New User
Ed
I asked Bill Grumbine on another forum if he would be there and he says he will. Looking at some of his work, I'd love an opportunity to meet him!

Jeremy, I'd love to plan a day trip up there. What do you think of Saturday?

nelsone

New User
Ed
The only thing I have against Sunday is things usually are winding down on the last day and some things might get put up early. But I'm flexible, so whatever you guys want to do! Might be an issue with church for some also.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am hoping hard :eusa_pray:eusa_pray to be there on Saturday. I don't think that I will be attending the classes, but I am very interested in everything else, including the opportunity to meet some other turners and NCWw'ers.
Dave:)

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I'm planning to be there all three days :eusa_danc. Be sure to wear your NC Woodworker hats or shirts or something so we can find each other. Hey, wait I don't have any of those things... I'll have to make an NCWW name tag ;-).

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I guess I am a little slow...do you have to register and pay the $$$175 or whatever it is just to get in the door or is that for classes, dinner, etc. If the $$$ is classes, etc. what does it cost just to walk around and look at the gallery and vender areas?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The money is just for the classes. There are meals included with them. It is free to walk around and check out out the vendors and galleries.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I asked Bill Grumbine on another forum if he would be there and he says he will. Looking at some of his work, I'd love an opportunity to meet him!

Jeremy, I'd love to plan a day trip up there. What do you think of Saturday?

At this point Saturday is probably better, but Sunday is a possibility.

toolman

Administrator
Chad
I guess I am a little slow...do you have to register and pay the $$$175 or whatever it is just to get in the door or is that for classes, dinner, etc. If the $$$ is classes, etc. what does it cost just to walk around and look at the gallery and vender areas?

Dolan I must be slow as well :slap: :BangHead: :BangHead:
I saw this thread and told my son Road Trip. Then I saw the registration of $185.00, Road Trip off. Thanks DaveO Road Trip back on :eusa_danc:drunken_s for Saturday Oct 6.

Eric Laudenbacher

New User
Eric Laudenbacher
I live about 5 minutes from the coliseum, please let me know when the majority will be there. I would love to meet everyone and renew old acquantices.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Mike, I am envious of your plans to take a course from David Ellsworth. I have not had the opportunity to do that and I probably never will because I have no interest in turning the kind of things he is famous for- hollow forms and bowls. He uses lots of green wood and does marvelous things with them. He has developed an extensive line of tools to accomplish the work he does.

His Ellsworth gouge is a big seller. It is essentially a 5/8" deep fluted bowl gouge with a swept back Irish grind. I use the grind on my bowl gouges because of its versatility. I borrowed the Ellsworth video on using this gouge from a friend and learned a lot about how to use all the edges of this tool. I actually bought a ProPM 5/8" gouge when I was doing a lot of bowl turning and replicated the grind. It works as advertised.

Again, I am envious. You will have a wonderful time based on all the reports I have heard. He is a personable and wonderful teacher and takes everyone as he finds them and then elevates their skills rapidly. Wait till you turn on that Poolewood of his. Everyone raves about that machine. I have seen a video from another turner's shop where a guy was turning a huge chunk of wood on a Poolewood and had a terrific catch and the lathe threw him through the roof. True story....

Enjoy and take lots of pictures so we all can also enjoy the week vicariously.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
No, I was referring to the Poolewood just because it is variable speed drive without a DC controller. It uses techology similar to the Nova DVR (Digital Variable Reductance). I have long admired the Poolewood because of how smooth they are reported to be and how powerful they are also.

I don't know anything about the Thompson lathe but I am far too much of a chicken to turn anything that large.

I am still envious.....:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Re-opened and bumped for those like me who might have forgot about it :crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2:
Anyone have a good plan for convincing your wife that you need to be gone out of town, hanging out with your woodworking buddies every weekend in October :eusa_pray:eusa_pray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS