NC Turner, take a look at this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
elm1.jpg

View image in gallery

You recently posted a pic of an elm bowl that had a beautiful finish that really appealed to me. This a bowl turned from elm in it's natural state with no finish on it. While I like the tight grain of the piece, I don't care for the washed out look. It is too white. What type of finish did you use.​

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Try any oil based finish, the oil will give it a nice amber hue and highlight the grain. If it was me I would give it a good dose of BLO, then spray blond shellac (Zinnser rattle can) followed with a paste waxing.

Dave:)

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Stuart,

Great looking bowl. :icon_thum I used a 1:3:1 Blo, Gloss Poly, MS finish super saturated and wiped when it starts to gel, and hand rub for a week unless you plan to buff it with the 3x Beall type system! Which I do. Buffing really brings out the shine! Just go easy on the wax, and use pure a carnuba/beeswax blend if you can.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Thanks Gary. Do you just use 1 coat of the mixture? I don't have the Beale system so guess it's hand rubbing for me.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Thanks Gary. Do you just use 1 coat of the mixture? I don't have the Beale system so guess it's hand rubbing for me.

The pics that I posted where with one coat, but I suggest 2. Nothing wrong with the hand rubbing in fact it can be very relaxing and great for getting the stiffness out of the fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS