Natural finish for a rocking chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
A lady asked me yesterday what would be a good outside finish to put on her rocker - it will be on a covered porch and she wants to keep it natural - she talked about putting poly on but I told her that I wasn't sure but I didn't think that would be good - I told her that I knew where I could find out tho :icon_thum any recommendations

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Not sure Natural and poly belong in the same sentence.

By natural, do you mean unstained? Color wise, pretty much any finish will darken the wood. What type of wood is it?

A spar varnish is generally recommended for outdoor applications. This is more flexible than other varnishes, to accommodate the expansion and contraction due to the temperature variations of the outdoors.

I would use that, but realize that there is no forever finish for exterior applications - they all need periodic "renewal" to keep appearance.

Henry

Mr. Bill

New User
Bill Hinds
The first piece of furniture we ever owned was an unfinished rocker bought in a shop in Boston. I was a low rank Navy guy stationed at a shipyard so the only thing I could "find" was real spar varnish. Forty six years later, and after traveling around the world, it now sits in the bedroom of my grandson. A few scratches, bumps and bruises but the original and only finish is stll bright and shiny and hard as a rock.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+1 to Mr. Bill's suggestion re marine spar varnish.

I have no personal experience with it, but have read a few things about it. The caveat is to avoid the BORG stuff. Buy high quality material and thin with some naphtha or mineral spirits to make application easier (thin about 1:1 for the first couple of coats). Epifanes is supposed to be a gold standard & it's priced accordingly. Volume wise 1000 mL is just about 1 quart.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...o?pid=92&familyName=Epifanes+Gloss+Clear+Varn

It probably won't satisfy the lady's "clear finish" criterion. :icon_scra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS