Natural Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hello,

I have this huge piece of Natural Edge Box Elder Burl... I have never made a hollow forum and want to, but I don't have the tools for that and this would be a cool piece for that as well as for a Natural edge bowl. The Burl parts have cool spikes, but not sure if it's under the bark.

10" tall at the tallest and 12 to 12-1/2" round.
IMAG0530.jpg

Any Suggestions? Thanks~!

Matthew

Last edited:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Re: Natural Edge Box Elder Burl??? Wha to do?

Help Please~!

Here is another photo. All bark removed and a Lot of Burl eyes under the sharp part. There is not much burl on the bottom side and if I turn out the middle I possibly be losing some AWESOME figure. Just don't know what to do with it.

IMAG0548.jpg

IMAG0550.jpg

You can see on the back side of this one where there is a diagonal line from the digital readout to the vacuum generator. That is where there is no Burl, a little bear claw and some figure, but pretty bland compared to the Burl.
IMAG0554.jpg

Thanks for any help/replies,

Matthew

Roy G

Roy
Senior User

Matthew, in one of Richard Raffan's books he shows how he got more use out of a piece of cocobolo (I think that's what it was). He put the blank on the bandsaw and cut off maybe the top quarter or third of the blank and proceeded to core out the larger piece. He then shaped the larger piece to final thickness and glued on the smaller piece and shaped it. He might have partially shaped the smaller piece on the inside before he glued it back on. He then shaped the outside and put a disguising bead at the joint. It looked pretty good and he had the smaller cored piece to make a bowl out of. Depending on how that burl goes through the piece, you may have a similar situation. Anyway, now you have something to think about.

Roy G

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

Thanks Roy,

Do you happen to have the book so I can get a picture of what you mean, or the issue month and year so I can look it up some where.

Thanks,

Matthew

Roy G

Roy
Senior User

Matthew, the project was in Raffan's book called Turning Projects. I'll try to scan it and send it to you. I'll probably have to do a page at a time - it's ten pages with pictures and all.

Roy G

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

You can send it to my screen name at yahoo dot com email address. I can get up to 25 mb.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

So I turned it a little deeper over the past couple of days and am coming closer to the end of the burl one part of it.

I'm thinking about turning it to final shape at current depth then band sawing it off to turn the bottom some how and turning the other half into another bowl???

Oh and how do I add a picture from my phone?

Thanks.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

You can see how deep it is here on one side and not so deep on the other.

Just thinking of cutting it below? What do you think? This is the hardest piece to think of what I should do with it.

IMAG0603.jpg

IMAG0600.jpg

Just wish I had a coring system to get all the beautiful burl out of the middle.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User

Matthew, I tried to send you that project from Raffan's book. Did you get it? My wife's computer is being crochety.

Roy G

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member

If your gonna keep getting wood like that, it's time for a corer!!!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

Hey Gary,

I have plenty and the hills and streets are lined with Burled trees everywhere here.

And I still have plenty from the two trees I got last year as you can see.
IMAG0615.jpg

So I probably should invest in a coring system, but I have no job as I am going to school right now and should have saved my tax return for it, but when it's 20 degrees in your garage all winter, you kinda forget about certain things.

Thanks,

Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS