Natural Birdhouse/Brown-headed Nuthatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I make a few of these types of birdhouses for friends. They are very easy and use logs that I hollow out. The hardest thing is removing the bark. One of my friends took a picture of the house with the bird that had taken up residence.

Birdhouse_Small.jpg

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Re: Natural Birdhouse

:icon_thum Great eye for design, Susan. But I must inquire, what species of bird is that?

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall

Susan, that is absolutly beautiful! I love the way it blends in w/ the tree. One question on the "front door" common sense tell us it doesnt work but looking at it im wondering did you add this or is it a cut off limb? Very , very, nice. R.K.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member

Easily my second favorite birdhouse ever.
(Hard to beat my Florida State Seminole one...)
I could still say its my favorite all wood one!
Don't be surprised to see several "knockoff's" across the state soon!

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan

Thanks to everyone for your kind words.

I don't know what kind of bird it is. Maybe someone here can chime in and let us all know.

In this case, the door was added. Sometimes a cut off limb is in the correct place. Sometimes I'll use the crotch of the tree and turn the smaller branch into an attached room. Each one is different and, of course, there are unlimited opportunities for design. The cost of materials is low, too. :eusa_danc All they cost is a trip through the woods and maybe a little chainsawing of a downed tree plus some old cedar shakes for the roof (also free) and some exterior plywood for the floor (leftovers).

I saw a birdhouse made similarly years ago, I don't remember where, maybe in Germany and have been making them for friends and selling them on behalf of the animal shelter from a friend's store for the past couple of years.

I use a draw knife to remove the bark....easily the hardest part of making the house.

And Andrew, you could probably hang some beads and feathers from the bottom and make it more Seminol-y. :rolf:

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn

I don't remember the last time I was impressed by a birdhouse, but that one certainly is!

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Susan,

That's really neat and a perfect blend in a natural setting. I too, am curious about the species that took up residence.

How is it cleaned out to remove old nests, etc. from previous residents? Open the door and come on in? :icon_scra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS