Narex Chisels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwat

New User
Bill
In my limited ww experience I have been very happy with the Narex bench chisel set. The shafts edges were dangerously sharp but easily remedied. Much sharper out of the box than most and seem to sharpen and hold an edge very well - better than my more expensive Crown set. By no means the best chisels available but a great value IMO. I would assume the mortise chisels will be similar.

I too have been looking at these. Interested in the feedback you receive.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I got a set last year. I am no expert on hand tools but IMHO they are top notch and worth the price. You can't go wrong.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I own a set and completely love 'em, I got them because of a best buy review in a magazine (maybe FWW ?).

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I own a set and completely love 'em, I got them because of a best buy review in a magazine (maybe FWW ?).
+1. Of course, these are the bench chisels, not the mortising chisels, but let's hope Narex is consistent in their quality.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Thanks for the feedback friends, I will have to see about getting the set! (Hopefully before I deploy) You all are just awesome!

AAAndrew

New User
Andrew
I have the bench chisels and the steel seems quite good. They hold an edge better than my Marples blue chips (for what that's worth). I do have a problem with the metal rings around the base falling off, but I need to get around to taking the shiney finish off the handles, soaking the end in some water and then doing a little mushrooming of the wood to hold the handles on better. I've read something about that trick somewhere or other.

These mortise chisels might work. I'd get one and see how beefy it is. For mortise chisels, you can't have too much bulk behind it. My Narex bench chisels are a little on the light side, which is ok for most operations, but for mortising I'm more of a fan of the old pigsticker type. The only new ones I know of in that style are sold by Tools for Working Wood. Theirs are significantly more expensive, but I have heard very good things about them and the chisels are beefy enough to be around for several generations.

If money is a concern, buy the Narex ones and get proficient. Once you really know you'll be chopping out mortises on a regular basis, go for the good ones. http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...op&Product_Code=MS-MORT.XX&Category_Code=TBMC

No relationship to TWW except great satisfaction in the quality of the service and tools from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS