NArex Chisels - Richter/95/Paring

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
OK, All I have more chisels than I will admit to.......but the new cryo-tempered Richter chisels by Narex, with all the rave review got me curious.
So, I bought one to see what the hype is and or isn't. I got a 1/8" chisel, mostly because I do not own one that small.
Anyway, The pixs 1-7 their descriptions are as follows.
1. Showing the 95th anniversary next to the Richter(has the "R" on it)
2. Shows the 95th neck and ferrule
3. Shows the Richter neck and ferrule
4. Shows the Richter tip
5. Compare 3 tips 95th, the Richter and the reg Narex paring
6. Shows the 3 tips face view
7. Top View of the 3 tips.

Some observations- Both the Richter and 95th both have a Stainless Ferrule and the leather gasket. The 95th I believe it 442SS vs 304 or 308SS on the Richter. This was verified with a magnet. 442 SS is magnetic and does get surface rust, the Richter is not a magnetic ferrule
The Richter comes a micro bevel on it. Very interesting to see how much and how big the micro bevel is. Having these chisels enlarged to the posted size show how inconsistent I am with the micro beveling. Both the two-1/4" and the 1/8 Richter are way sharp.
Does the Richter cut/shave better...... seems to but I do not believe it is because of the cryro steel. I think the real difference is in the finish and reduced drag it gets because the metal is so smooth.

Narex chisels are excellent, but their regular versions and even the 95th edition have pretty poor detail finishing. They do all work fantastically. I also have the 2-Cherries, HMG, Marples, Stanley 40's, a steel top VonHaus set- Amazon special, and the old Buck Chisels.

TBH, for most work I grab the Narex 95 or the Stanley 40's. For Butcher work I use the Vonhaus most of the time. One thing I notice is I have more finesse control with the Narex over the 40's, mostly because of the handle's differing shape and size. The HMG Chises are super hard metal and are a hassle to set an edge to... the others easier to sharpen all- are about the same.
I bought the Narex 95th set of 8 chisels for 40 bucks off Craigs, the Richter 1/8th cost me 35 bucks just for that one. Bottom line, if you need a better set that is awesome the Richter would be a good choice, or, if you just want something better looking the Richter would be great. But, if you have a good set already then ignore the hype. A lot of the new gizmo tech often is nothing more than the search for the pot of gold at the end of the latest and greatest rainbow of marketing.

Attachments

• chisel (1).jpg
    chisel (1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 243
  • chisel (2).jpg
    chisel (2).jpg
    611.7 KB · Views: 210
  • chisel (3).jpg
    chisel (3).jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 217
  • chisel (4).jpg
    chisel (4).jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 185
  • chisel (5).jpg
    chisel (5).jpg
    872.7 KB · Views: 185
  • chisel (6).jpg
    chisel (6).jpg
    916.2 KB · Views: 177
  • chisel (7).jpg
    chisel (7).jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I think the goal of the new alloy is durability. Having read the hype, I bought a 1/2" Richter. Is it better than my Marples? I think so. Not by a lot, but yea. A little disappointed it does not have a reinforcing band on the handle, but when I need a mallet, I'll use my Marples.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
I have been waiting since December for a set of Narex Richters from Lee Valley. I wanted better, but didn't want to lay out $65 to $100 per chisel for today's ultra-premium offerings. I have a vintage set of Marples Blue Chips that are my trusty beaters (a few of which are getting pretty short) and have been looking forward to the Richters as my better ones. I hope my (still reversible) decision that they are worth the wait.

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Before I retired, I traveled to Atlanta 3x per year. I liked the trips because I could visit Highland. Not having enough chisels, I bought a set of Stanley 750 clones about 10 years ago to go with the unmatched old 750s/720s I had. Maybe about 2015 I brought home a boxed set of Narex "pro" chisels with the highly polished finish. They are beautiful. I don't see any measurable difference in the ease of sharpening or edge retention on any of these. If anything, the Narex hold up to pounding a little better. What I did find, however, is that I prefer using the new Stanley chisels for dovetails because the metal finish is not highly polished. Small machine marks remain which makes them easier to hold. Just my 2c worth.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
@Ed Fasano If you buy separately you pay about 30 bucks more than in the set minus a box. They are currently in stock at Amazon. I almost did that just because having a new set of chisels that looked that nice would be cool. But I showed great discipline (this time and only got one to see what it was like.

Other than the finishing, they work about the same as my 95th edition I bought for a song.

Trey1984

Trey
User
I have been waiting since December for a set of Narex Richters from Lee Valley. I wanted better, but didn't want to lay out $65 to $100 per chisel for today's ultra-premium offerings. I have a vintage set of Marples Blue Chips that are my trusty beaters (a few of which are getting pretty short) and have been looking forward to the Richters as my better ones. I hope my (still reversible) decision that they are worth the wait.
I ordered mine from taytool and pretty reasonable price. Shipped very quick. Got them in a weeks time.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS