Narex Chisel Set question

RickR

Rick
Senior User
I am looking for a modestly priced set of chisels. Amazon is offering this set for about $70. What do you think?
1641226899104.png

jyarbrou

New User
Eric
I have a very similar set with beech handles. For the price I think they are good. I’ve had to tune them all up of course, but everything is pretty close.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I own 3 different sets of the Narex. They are excellent and probably the best you can buy for the price point. The price has gone up for sure.

They need to be tuned up, but like Eric said not much. Very happy with them

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Lee Valley sells them in true imperial sizes. Metric may or may not matter to you but fyi....

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
My bench, & mortising, chisels are made by Narex. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

You can get them directly from taytools.com at a slightly better price than Amazon—depending on total shipping costs.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought the Imperial set years ago, after tuning, you will be pleased with their performance.

Echd

C
User
I have the metric set purchased from Taytools. They work very well and are a good value.

Are the "Richter" line now called "Richter Extra"? I don't see the listings of just Richter chisels available.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
You'll be very happy with that purchase. The chisels are very good and Lee Valley has excellent Customer Service. I have both the metric and imperial versions as well. I also have their skew chisels.

BKHam

Bradley
User
they are good steel as far as i can tell ( have a 3/8 and some mortising sizes). my only complaint and this would apply to lots of chisels out there is that the flat on the edges is too big. for getting into the corner for a dovetail, i'd damage my tails, I finally ground the flat away.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
they are good steel as far as i can tell ( have a 3/8 and some mortising sizes). my only complaint and this would apply to lots of chisels out there is that the flat on the edges is too big. for getting into the corner for a dovetail, i'd damage my tails, I finally ground the flat away.
That's what those skew chisels are really good at.

BKHam

Bradley
User
That's what those skew chisels are really good at.

aren't skew chisels for paring? i'm talking about when i chop my baseline. i can't quite get in that corner if there is a flat. either way i think we all get there somehow.

dlos

New User
Dave
I am working through the sharpening process of a brand new set of Two Cherries by Kirschner. For what I paid for these, and the reviews they have, I can't state how disappointed I am in the steel, or at least the construction of the steel on these things. Every single one in the set has required hours of flattening on the back just to get it ready to sharpen. Hopefully once that is all done and they are sharp they'll live up to the name and reputation. Not sure why I didn't go with Narex but definitely wishing I'd done so now.

Trey1984

Trey
User
I have the metric set purchased from Taytools. They work very well and are a good value.

Are the "Richter" line now called "Richter Extra"? I don't see the listings of just Richter chisels available.
There not with the regular chisels... Did you try typing it in the search bar (taytools). That's where I ordered from and they ship pretty quick.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS