Narex Chisel Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY PRICES
spacer.gif
on Narex® Classic Bevel-Edge Chisel Sets.
spacer.gif
photo_en3.gif
photo_en4.jpg
spacer.gif
Introductory prices until August 8, 2011.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,41504&p=67707

manfre

New User
Manfre
Anyone have a review of this brand or chisel design? I'm in the market for decent chisel set and this is in a price range that doesn't make me cringe.

Also, if anyone else plans on getting this. Perhaps we can split the cost of shipping.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
All over it - Thanks for the heads up!

I've read a few great reviews on Narex, (dollar for dollar), vs. the high-end chisel segment.

Manfre, I seem to recall something about a deal to combine shipping on some Worksharp disks that "someone" may have completely forgotten about until just now.....:slap:.....I'd be more than happy to eat the shipping costs on yours to make amends. Shoot me a PM.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
They were included in a FWW #200 review but were labeled as Garrett Wade. They were down rated because their backs needed flattened but were essentially the same blade as the Beech handled version which got top marks and were their best buy.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Highland Hardware has been carrying their bench chisels for several year. I got a set a love them. Only issue with the once HH sells is they are metric.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the ones from Highland Hardware. The metric sizes are very close to the common inch versions that are the most useful sizes. I did have to flatten the backs, but it did not take long at all. I'm very happy with these chisels and have been using them on the workbench that I'm building for all of the mortising (along with a set of mortise chisels - also Narex) and tenon cleanup work.

They sharpen real fine (and quickly) on the WorkSharp 3000 that I use.

- Ken.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I can't help but to get a chuckle at the price breakdowns:

Set of 4: $7.50/chisel
Set of 7: $7.00/chisel
Set of 10: $8.50/chisel

I have the Narex mortising chisels LV had on sale around the holidays and have thus far been happy with them -- and could not beat the price. I would imagine their bench/bevel chisels to be of similar quality -- afterall once you've done the intial honing and flattening it is the quality of the steel that matter most, so if you can afford a little extra time preparing them more than you can afford a premium set of chisels then I would think them a great deal.

manfre

New User
Manfre

I have the Narex mortising chisels LV had on sale around the holidays and have thus far been happy with them -- and could not beat the price. I would imagine their bench/bevel chisels to be of similar quality -- afterall once you've done the intial honing and flattening it is the quality of the steel that matter most, so if you can afford a little extra time preparing them more than you can afford a premium set of chisels then I would think them a great deal.
I noticed the price jump for the extra 3 chisels. My guess (read: justification to self) is that the larger ones cost more per chisel due to more steel, more sharpening tool wear, smaller production volume and most importantly, I like having complete sets. :)

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I noticed the price jump for the extra 3 chisels. My guess (read: justification to self) is that the larger ones cost more per chisel due to more steel, more sharpening tool wear, smaller production volume and most importantly, I like having complete sets. :)

Ordinarily I'd buy that argument, but somehow adding 3 larger chisels to the smallest set resulted in a lower cost per chisel... go figure!

That said, I, too, like complete sets. Now you'll have to go track down a 1/8" chisel so your 10pc set can be a complete 11pc set...:rolf:

PS -- Not being the world's best honing expert, my 1/8" chisel is a PITA to sharpen without rounding it!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member

When you think about the price of the LN chisels these compare with it's a no brainer if you like the handle. How about $55/chisel?

bribassguy

New User
Brian
I have this set... they are pretty good chisels. THey come as a "kit" meaning you'll need to put some effort in tuning them up but it's worth it.

I also bought the Narex inch mortice chisel set form LV a while back. They are nice aswell.

I am seriously thinking about selling my set and getting the inch set some LV.

yea I am looking hard at this deal also....

also this was in my email today

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/narexboxed6-piecebenchchiselset.aspx

I think I would rather have the inch versions from Lee Valley but did not know if quality differences between the sets

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Just ordered the 10 chisel set, the 3 biggest are out of stock til November. Must be pretty popular.

Threejs

New User
David
I have the set of 10, and wouldn't trade them for anything. They are really good chisels, but they do need to have the back flattened at first, but not much. (least not on mine) They also hold an edge well.

Cato

New User
Bob
Got the set of seven over the weekend. Haven't tried them yet, but look like they will be fine.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Great video with explanation as to why they are so cheap. I hope they start making (or we start importing) turning tools too.

cwieland

New User
Chris
I ordered them today (set of 10). I'll have to wait though. They are on backorder until Nov 11.

It's a good video on the explanation of the hardening process. Surprisingly, I do remember those terms from metallurgy class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS