Name That Wood................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod

New User
Rod
It seems that while amassing a small collection of turning blanks, I have lost, mislabeled or otherwise just forgotten a species or two…or maybe 3. So I come to you looking for direction. I come looking for wisdom, for I am just a mere novice when it comes to wood identification.
The first 4 are of the same species. They look almost identical to two platter blanks I have that I believe to be Sweetgum…a yellowish, soft texture with hints of spalting and pink…….veins/splotches/?
The last are magnolia and hackberry I think, but I can’t remember. Please advise at your convenience.
Thanks,
Rod

Last edited:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The first four closely resemble the southern red maple I just got from my neighbor this weekend.

Go

J

jeff...

The first two pics are mighty yellow... I would say mulberry but it looks to grainy for mulberry, it might also be Osage Orange - heck I don't know :dontknow: Give us some clues... What it smell, taste and feel like - is it heavy and hard what happens when you whack it with a hammer? Does it laugh at the hammer or does it dent easy when whacked? How big is the piece, how much does it weigh? Is the yellow hue on your camera adjusted correctly?

gsdoby

New User
Gary
I also thought of Osage orange but I did not think it would be subject to spalting. Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have some osage that laid out in the woods for ten years, the outside is rotted but no spalting. Inside is pure smooth yellow.

J

jeff...

I also thought of Osage orange but I did not think it would be subject to spalting. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have some osage that laid out in the woods for ten years, the outside is rotted but no spalting. Inside is pure smooth yellow.

Great points e.g. Spalting - then my vote is for Mulberry. But I need some more hints have you snorted any yet?

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
first two barkwise make me think of locust maybe
the third and fourth pieces look like box elder or is that red in my eyes?

that smaller yellow I'd go with osage
and the last looks like my piece of magnolia
I'm stopping there
Hope we aren't going to be graded on this!
if we are I'm blaming my old man eyes

Rod

New User
Rod
I took some more pics today but deleted them instead of saving them...so more tomorrow maybe. I just finished laying hardwood in my son's room and am beat to death, so that's my excuse.

As for the wood, it's not as yellow as it may seems in the pics. That's partly due to my lighting. I need to figure out how to get good lighting for pics. They aren't osage. I have dealt with that and know it well.

The bark makes me think maybe Chinese Elm, but I don't know if that even grows around here...actually, in the piedmont and not in the mtns.

So I'm going with box elder (with burl) for the 1st four pics.
I'll stick with magnolia for the last one...yellow all the way through with very pronouced "vessels" (I think that's what they are called)...or vascular rings maybe.
As for the darker specimin, I don't know what to think...and I have a bunch of it. Dark wood with pronounced rings/lines (I can't think right now). Very grainy texture.

J

jeff...

I took some more pics today but deleted them instead of saving them...so more tomorrow maybe. I just finished laying hardwood in my son's room and am beat to death, so that's my excuse.

As for the wood, it's not as yellow as it may seems in the pics. That's partly due to my lighting. I need to figure out how to get good lighting for pics. They aren't osage. I have dealt with that and know it well.

The bark makes me think maybe Chinese Elm, but I don't know if that even grows around here...actually, in the piedmont and not in the mtns.

So I'm going with box elder (with burl) for the 1st four pics.
I'll stick with magnolia for the last one...yellow all the way through with very pronouced "vessels" (I think that's what they are called)...or vascular rings maybe.
As for the darker specimin, I don't know what to think...and I have a bunch of it. Dark wood with pronounced rings/lines (I can't think right now). Very grainy texture.

Rod - this one I can almost be 100% is boxelder - you just can't mistake that red
Wood_Species_4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS