Naked chest of drawers

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks for taking the time to do a photographic essay for us. I really enjoyed seeing your process to accomplish that design. Very inspiring. It makes me think I want to go out and get one those dovetail jigs.
Echoing Bob here - the details and jigs are a delight to 'witness' in pics and text, as is the end product! Wonderful. Thank you.

I may have to adopt your rough edge ripping jig, although the track saw does a decent job too. More options!

Last edited:

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
I like it. Shows excellent workmanship and I really like the sliding dovetails at the drawer fronts. From what I can see the finish looks like it was sprayed on (??). If not that is some really good brush/rag work. I sprayed pre-cat lacquer on a the dresser I made for my son which I liked a lot.

Congratulations on a great looking project.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
You are right Ray. I sprayed shellac on the drawer parts, before I cut the joints. That kept the boards clean during fabrication. It also helped me decide on the best looking faces and placements. Then I sprayed again after assembly and fitting.
Dirk I can't blame anyone else for this design. It kind of evolved. Once I settled on the look I wanted, I did make a full size drawing to get the legs and runners to line up.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Tim,
This is a late reply but I noticed you said you applied poly to the top. I assume you didn't apply it to the bottom. I am about to apply poly to a project I am working on and would like to apply it only to the top surface because the underside would be difficult to do so. I assume this is not a problem based on your successful work. Correct?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Questions related to the dust collector you have on those PC690 routers: Are they at least moderately effective? Do you like this one? Is there a brand name and source you can reference? I have never looked for one, or seen one like this - although I recognize that Festool has something like this on their routers and it has always seemed like a great idea.

My router is second only to my planer (and lathe I guess) in the ability to create a massive field of chips and dust all over the shop. I am less concerned with the larger chips and more concerned with dust particles (that I assume are also produced).

THanks

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Beautiful work from design through build, Tim. The combination of creativity and craftsmanship is not easy to achieve. Well done.

Matt

Claus

Claus
User
Very nice work. Re: your edge trimming sled- I can see a lot of uses for something like that, would you tell us more about those clamps?

Thanks

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Bob it looks like you woke up this old thread again. Thank you.
If I understand right , you want to apply finish only to the top side of your project? That's not recommended. The underside could absorb humidity much more quickly than the finished surface. That would lead to warping. The top board of this dresser was finished on all six surfaces before it was mechanically fastened to the base. If your project is a closed case , then poly would not be my choice for the underside. It has a tendency to off-gas and stink for a long time. I use shelac for the interior surface of any enclosed case.
Claus, the cross hatching of that jig , is cut with a dovetail bit. The clamps have a dovetail top that slides in. I got them from Klingspor: Micro jig matchfit clamps.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Henry, I like this router dust catcher. It seems to get about half the mess. It's a PC #39690. You do loose about 1/2" of cutting depth with it. It's more effective on interior cuts. I have a different one for edge routing. Sorry, that one does not even show a brand name.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS