Naked chest of drawers

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I just finished this for my granddaughter.

IMG_0436.jpg

Its made of resawn hickory. The finish is shelac, with poly added to the top.
IMG_0438.jpg
IMG_0437.jpg

The original idea was 4 corner post legs . I think this A frame was a better look and more stable. The exposed slides and drawer sides are it's best feature. The overlapped drawer front edges function as the pulls. The back is open with one diagonal brace.
IMG_0439.jpg

Here are a few construction details:

IMG_0346.jpg
IMG_0340.jpg

I made a full size drawing to layout the dadoe locations. I used a router sled to cut all four together, just to insure they lined up right.
IMG_0333.jpg

This edge trimming sled got me one straight edge to start from.
IMG_0611.JPG

I started with 6/4 stock about 6" wide. I was hoping to yield two 1/2" sides per board. I quickly found out that hickory is tough to work with. It warped badly as it was cut. After numerous passes with the jointer and planer, I salvaged 3/8" sides. I had to replace the jointer knives, planer knives and finally the planer . Really tough wood!

IMG_0400.jpg

The drawer backs are attached with through dovetails. The fronts are joined to the sides with sliding dovetails.
IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

Not all the drawer fronts had the sapwood contrast I wanted. So I added a strip to the bottom of all to blend the appearance.

IMG_0443.jpg

Yes , the dovetails would normally show on the sides, not the back. But the sliding dovetails on the fronts would not allow spreading the sides to insert the pins.

All done now and a satisfying project.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Tim, I am a traditional furniture guy, I really like your chest of drawers, the design is pretty cool. The hickory looks nice, but good god hickory is evil stuff, only out done by Ipe.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Tim, that is really, really, really nice! Just so eye-catching and interesting....just a woodworker's eye candy. Thanks for sharing the construction details. I know the hickory was challenging to work with but in my opinion the final appearance justified the extra effort. Great job!

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Very nice. Saw the first picture and immediately hoped you had pictures of the leg detail. Nicely done!

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
It fought you all the way, but you showed it who's boss. It turned out great!

ssmith

New User
Scott
The hickory looks great. It is a bear to work with for sure but the outcome was worth it. Really innovative design too!

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Tim, Beautiful work and great design. Looks complicated to build. Very time consuming.
But the final results are stunning!

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
WOW! That is a special piece. A labor of love and the finished piece shows it. The result is wonderful in its own right. Seeing the exposed details makes it that much more special - no where to hide.

beautiful

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I really like this design! From the front it looks somewhat ordinary, then as you pan around it sneaks up on you! Beautifully done Tim!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Thanks for taking the time to do a photographic essay for us. I really enjoyed seeing your process to accomplish that design. Very inspiring. It makes me think I want to go out and get one those dovetail jigs.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Bob , the Porter cable jig has really worked well for me. This is the first time I made through dovetails or sliding dovetails. In the past I mostly made 1/2" plywood drawers with half blind dovetails.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The next time I'm at Woodcraft, I'm going to have too examine that jig a little closer. I'm still working with a Sears jig I bought back in the 1970s. The dovetails are 7/8" on center rather than 1" on center.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS