Nails Vs Screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Lahey

New User
Mr. Lahey
I just can't think of many reasons to use nails at all. As I understand screws hold better, and don't you have to take time to drill pilot holes for nails anyway?

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Screws will often provide greater holding power but are not always necessary. Nails, or nails plus glue will provide great holding power. Nails rarely need a pilot hole, screw will need one much more often, simply due to the girth of the screw. Screws are more expensive than nails and are more difficult and time consuming to install. Each has their benefits. For my work, I would not be able to give up either one.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It is all a matter of the intended and needed function of the fastener. Doing mostly commercial work, we use screws almost exclusively (metal studs, blocking, etc.) but I can't imagine the costs to frame a house with screws. That being said, screws and PE glue on sub-floor have virtually eliminated squeaking floor systems (something some people are nostalgic for). I find the pullout power of screws far superior to nails, but if not sized properly, they will shear faster than a nail in some applications.
The popularity of screws and their subsequent price reductions, along with the advent of cordless drills, impact drivers, and corded screw guns have made them a more goto fastener for building applications than 10 years ago. Drywall nailing has virtually become a thing of the past because of it.
FWIW, I have a drywall bucket full of 16d coated nails that were bought for a project 6 years ago. I haven't made a dent in them yet - but I haven't thrown them away, either.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Cool thread. :cool: I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said already, but it is interesting that screws have become a bigger part of the construction industry. :eusa_thin

JimD

Jim
Senior User
It is much easier to hide the little hole from a nail in finish work. I used to think screws were better for drywall but I took some down that was fastened with smooth nails. I learned that what my builder told me was true, the drywall was far weaker than the withdrawal force of the smooth nails. Around here the professionals nail the perimeter and come back and screw the center. I think they screw the center because it is easier to set them accurately.

I use screws when I want to pull things together. I use nails when they will show. For construction, I would not use hardened screws (like drywall screws) because while their yield strength is high they are brittle and fail from impact loads. Nails are more ductile and do not shear easily.

Jim

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The both hurt just the same when you step on a board with either a protruding nail or screw. :roll:

I couldn't imagine trying to frame a building up with screws since a couple of whacks with a 28oz hammer does the trick on a nail but a screw... well thats a whole nother story.

DonDeJ

New User
Don
It's easier to take things apart that are fastened with screws, but we don't make mistakes anyway, so why would we care how easy it is to disassemble anything.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
225px-Domenico-Fetti_Archimedes_1620.jpg

Archimedes, trying to figure out why anyone would use a nail...

Other than finishing nails, where the head can be hidden, or decorative heads in some applications, I think it is all about money, Nails are cheaper to make and cheaper to use (compare labor costs of using a nail gun to frame with using screws, even with power).

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Both have their uses, but economy is definitely a factor. As for holding power, though, a cc nail (cement coated) and a ring shank, have as much holding power as a screw. Having had to remove both, I have pulled out screws with a hammer and pry bar easier than the nails.

Go

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Jeff: the reason you have difficulty with screws and a 28 oz framing hammer is simple; screws require a 32 oz hammer

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Jeff: the reason you have difficulty with screws and a 28 oz framing hammer is simple; screws require a 32 oz hammer

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Don't laugh. I saw a couple of maintenance guys replace screws in steel plating over an old wood floor with hammers!:swoon::nah:

I have heard before that the old square nails held very well...of course they do leave a little bit of a hole...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS