My work in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbvilla

New User
Dawn
I think I have attached some pics of my latest work... It is my 3rd project that has come from my head and has been filled with more lessons learned the hard way. But now I have found you guys and hopefully by researching the site archives, those hard lessons learned will be fewer and farther between.. Thanks for all the advice and info give to me so far.

Check out that cool band saw that I use. It belonged to my great-grandfather. The blooming thing is scary and I would feel much better using it with a hard hat and a chain mail suit. But it is just what I needed to cut the legs on the table. It is the most amazing piece of machinery I have ever seen.

The lighting in the pictures is not too good. The acutal color of the table is the lighter end. lol

Attachments

• PICT0021.JPG
    PICT0021.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 242
  • PICT0022.JPG
    PICT0022.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 250
  • PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hmmm, your third project looks better than my tenth! :roll:
Very nice table, I think you can move into the dining room now :lol:

Sapwood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dawn, that is a beautiful table. Where did you find wormy spalted maple thick enough for the legs. You're right that BS is a scary looking machine, I like mine to have a few more guards. But I bet it cuts well, todays machinery can't match the old stuff.

Don't worry about searching thru the "archives" for information if you have a question please post it. We have no problem trying to answer the same question twice or more. There is a no "search for it" policy in full force, so ask away.

Dave:)

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Nice looking table! You've done well so quickly. :icon_thum Where did you get the maple? You're all set in the bandsaw department. You'll find lots of neat new stuff you can do with that saw. One "expert" in Fine Woodworking said if he could only have one power tool, it would be a bandsaw. It might be less scary if it had some guards on it, I'd end up filleting my knee the way it is now. :saw: Breaking a blade might be a very traumatic experience too.8-O
My Best
Randy

dbvilla

New User
Dawn
Well I cheated with the legs. I cut some 1 x 4's and glued them together trying to get as much coloration on the exterior. And yes the saw cuts like a dream. However, my sister and I were discussing the maintenance required with such a machine. My father is deceased and we are going to have to seek out someone to inform us as what we need to do to keep it cutting that way. Hey if anyone here is familiar with something like this, by all means let me know.
Dawn

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dawn, your table looks fantastic.:icon_thum I love the wood you selected for it as well as the way you matched the grain. Ditto all the previous comments on the bandsaw. I would be very careful with that one. From the photo it looks like it was originally designed to run off of a main belt line of some type, either steam or water powered. You might want to take a close look at how that blade is tracking on the lower tire. It looks like it is about to come off of there.

D L

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Hello Dawn,
There was a great article in one of the wood working magazines last year or year before, was probably Fine Woodworking as I remember, the guy did a great job in the article describing tuning, adjustment, techniques, etc. It would be good if you could read that, you'll really enjoy the new stuff you learn about your saw. Your saw probably just needs a good "going-over". It probably has grease fitting or oil cups that you need to give a shot regularly, and should look at that right away. It probably uses an odd size blade too, so you may have to get the blades made which is no big deal, and not expensive. Tune it up and put guards on it and it will be first class. There seems to be a lot of that wormy maple up in your area. I'm supposed to go up above Hillsville and get a load of it.
My Best
Randy

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very eye drawing grain patterns, I like it.

If you decide to build guards for your bandsaw DON'T CALL ME!:) I have learned to hate making guards.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Great lookin table. It should hold a lot of pots full of good country food. I really like the character in the top. Thanks for the photos.

Mountaincraft

New User
William
Beautiful wood, excellent grain positioning.

I'm afraid to look at the saw. I feel like the blade is going to come out of the computer screen. Definitely spent the money to fix it up, though. You would have the best saw of anyone short of a lumber mill.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
dbvilla said:
Well I cheated with the legs. I cut some 1 x 4's and glued them together trying to get as much coloration on the exterior. Dawn

I don't think you cheated, I think you succeeded. I couldn't tell that they were laminated legs. With wood like ambrosia maple it is very hard to match the fungal stains when laminating boards. And they will prolly be more stable in the long run. Great job again.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS