My wannabe CNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
No, it isn't really a CNC, but I can get similar precision with this set up. Some of you may have read my thread about the rediculous router bit from he-- uhm, I mean eBay that I was using in a low end B&D plunge router. This is what I was trying to emulate:

cnc-wannabe.jpg

Yep, my parts came in from DeWalt so the gloat is now legitimate. I can adjust depth with incredible accuracy compared to the B&D.

But wait there's more! One part didn't come from DeWalt:

bit-extension.jpg

That's an extension from MLCS - the proper way to get more depth. That's a 5/8" mortising bit that I will use for cleaning up the bottom of big cavities. I got the extension that takes 1/4" bits for a couple of reasons. One is my existing inventory of bits and the other is that I think a lighter bit at the end of an extension makes more sense. The extension itself has a 1/2" shank and is rock solid - really intended to do this. I will be buying some long 1/2" fluted bits also.

The carriage system is the old style Tool Trolley. There are two plates because the top plate can be adjusted in and out about 5 inches or so, so I really do have X, Y and Z, albeit in a somewhat limited range - roughly 18" x 5" x 3". I just have to move and reclamp bigger workpieces.

:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Oh yeah, one more plug for DeWalt customer service! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Andy,

I became overwhelmed by all of the accesories so I'm not really sure how many YOU SUCKS to give you. Therefore, I give you....... YOU SUCK! to infinity + 1

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:
Great score(s)!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Trent:-D

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Andy,

Very nice set up. What kind of a project do you have in mind for this?

Ray

[banana]You Rock!!![/banana]

Solid carved body historical reproduction instruments like citoles, gitterns, vielles and lyres. I shudder to think how much effort went into doing this:

PICT0158.jpg

Like this:

jouhikkoday2.jpg

I did make circy saw kerfs and did some drilling also, but the next one will be almost all routed in much less time.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Solid carved body historical reproduction instruments like citoles, gitterns, vielles and lyres.
What, are those fancy names for bedpans? Never seen wooden ones before:laugh:

But on all the loot - YOU SUCKS...I mean YOU SUCK MULTIPLE TIMES! I need one of those extenders... :) :tool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS