My Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
If you remember way back to the first shop crawl then you know my shop. It is nothing special as there were other more admirable shops on that tour. It is a 12 x 20 stall of a three car garage. There are pics of the construction in my gallery. I have 220v near the front of the shop and regular outlets every 4 ft. on the wall.,at about 4 foot height. Since the ceiling is 12" high, I use ALL of the walls for storage. In view of my recent super-clean this past weekend and the requests for how I set up shop, here are some pics:

shop door.jpg

This is the door to my shop from the rest of the garage.

high storage.jpg

When you enter through that door you are faced with this up high. This is my FWW/Woodsmith collection with random high storage for items that I use infrequently.
sander.jpg
Below the magazines is my Jet belt/disc sander and some pipe clamp storage. The second bucket contains turning tools that need a new storage place (after I bought Dave O's turning tools).
lathe.jpg

Turning to the right, at the back of the shop is my lathe. As you can see I have some tools storage below. The white box contains wood for pens and bottle stoppers The box on top hold various jigs and chucks. The cabinet above is m parts storage.And the bike is my triathlon bike. I hung the Airshield I got from Woodguy75 on the seat while the battery charges. I also store a Sawsall underneath the lathe.
high shelf.jpg

Above the bike is a shelf for storage of my Dovetail jig, my original TS fence and my hazardous liquids. My extra bike wheels also hang down from it.
parts.jpg

Inside that cabinet is my parts storage, which took up 2 hours sorting through this weekend.

dp.jpg
To the right of the door is my drill press and lower storage cabinet. The wall behind it hold racks for various tools.
bench.jpg
To the right of my drill press is my main workbench. I built this many years ago in VA. There is storage underneath. The drawers contain my files and rasps, my chisels, nails for nail guns, and the cabinets house routers. Behind it you can see my Delta bandsaw.
bench storage.jpg
The other side of the bench has open shelves for nail guns, drawer slides, etc.
left.jpg
Here is a long shot of the left side of the shop, there are 3 clamp racks and router bit storage here. My table saw is near the door and had a router table built into it. so storage near there is handy.
clamps and bits.jpg
Here is a close up of the bit storage and clamp storage. I lowered the bit storage this weekend. The pipe is from the dust collector coming up later.

wood left.jpg
At the top of the left wall is more wood storage. Can't let this space go to waste. I sorted all this wood this weekend!

festool.jpg
This is my custom-made Festool cabinet.It is on wheels and the dust collector is built into the back where there are four more trays. The MFT table comes off so I can use it outside, and there is a small tray of the left where I store my pen turning mandrels and accessories.
side bench.jpg
This is the side bench that runs along the wall next tot the Festool cabinet.
cabinets.jpgAbove the side bench are these cabinets. with shelving between them.

ood right.jpgThis is the wood storage over the cabinets. I sorted this too this weekend. There is a dust pipe running through this.
right cabinet.jpgThe right-hand cabinet contains router table parts and large bit storage. Also in there is my Golden Clamp award from the first shop crawl (thanks Bas).
left cabinet.jpgThe left cabinet contains grippers, tenoning jig, newly acquired vacuum press pump, clamps.
cabinet storage.jpg
Each lower cabinet has two slide out trays. This one has a vice, my mortiser, some nail guns and some hand plain boxes. The other side has my grinder and Tormek.
right side bench top.jpg
I keep some stuff on the top of the side bench.
left side bench top.jpgThis is the left side of the bench top with towel dispenser, glue up materials and bench top spindle sander. The stuff in from is mostly pen kit stuff and tools to be sorted.
dust.jpgThis is my Penn State Dust collector which I got off Craigslist years ago for a steal. It is located to the left of the side bench and near the garage door for easy emptying.

ts.jpgThis is my PM table saw with router table of the left. The bag on top is for the vacuum press and needs to find a good storage place.
jp.jpg
This is my Joiner/Planer and sits right in front of the door. I roll it outside to use it. There is dust collection on the far wall.
wood over door.jpgOver the door is MORE wood storage as I cannot afford to leave any space unused. BTW I insulated the door and there is and AC unit over the shop door in the first picture to keep the room cool or warm depending on the season.
sheets.jpgI store my sheet goods on a rack on the other side of the shared shop wall.
garage.jpgFinally, I have more storage in front of where I park my car. The wood in front is to be burned in the fire pit. Behind it is a rolling small scrap bin, and shelve storing more wood and burls. I also have a compressor on the bottom left which runs through a conduit in the wall. This keeps the noise in the shop down when the compressor cycles.

Hope this helps. And there is one more big tool in the shop, a Hawk scroll saw and I need Sawduster to contact me as I owe you money!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the "virtual shop crawl" Doug - every spot used and still VERY functional!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice, Doug. Except you are way too organized!!! I need to come over and wreck the place so it will look like mine. LOL

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Enjoyed the tour, you have some really nice equipment! Now that you are more organized, what is your next actual woodworking project?

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I have multiple projects going. First is 2 flag cases, one for the son of a friend of mine that died at 21 years old in a car accident, and the other is for my oldest friend's father. I have some replacement rocking chair parts to turn and my infamous Maloof-style rocker to finish. There are many more too, like a rolling computer stand fo use with my bike when it is on a trainer, a turning tool storage rack, etc.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
My hat's off to anyone who can get work done in a shop with 12” (1 ft) ceilings as that is just incredible. :D

On a more serious note, you have an absolutely wonderful shop with a lot of goodies to be proud of. Thank you very much for sharing your shop with all of us!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
One thing about a small shop: It controls woodguy disease as eventually you will not be able to get around if you fill it up too much. I have to keep it clean just to be able to work in it, and I have to put things away or I quickly get lost. Thanks for the comments. I doubt my schedule would allow me to organize another crawl right now. I have fond memories of the first few. I wonder where some of the hosts got to.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Question on your jet drill press. Did you buy it new? If not could you let me know the serial number please? Mine was stolen :( and I'm just wondering if you ended up with it or not? I'm not looking to recover it or anything like that so dont worry, I'm just curious.

Maybe the Fountain of Youth isn't a fountain at all. Maybe it's a way of looking at things. A way of thinking.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Question on your jet drill press. Did you buy it new? If not could you let me know the serial number please? Mine was stolen :( and I'm just wondering if you ended up with it or not? I'm not looking to recover it or anything like that so dont worry, I'm just curious.

Maybe the Fountain of Youth isn't a fountain at all. Maybe it's a way of looking at things. A way of thinking.
How in the heck does someone steal a drill press??

"No Cindy Lou - I am taking this back to the Jet people because it needs a little repair!!"

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
:rotflm: I bought it over 10 years ago at the Woodcraft in VA just south of the Beltway around DC. I think I can say with certainty it is not yours. Funny thing is that the drill press and band saw are the only original heavy machines that I have that I brought when I moved to NC. The dust collector, table saw, joiner/planer, lathe, belt sander, scroll saw, were all purchase here in NC.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

"No Cindy Lou - I am taking this back to the Jet people because it needs a little repair!!"
How do you steal a drill press? Well it must have been a few guys that stole it because the freaking thing ain't light and its awkward to move around to begin with.

I wouldn't put anything past thieves. Heck I had 500 to 600 lb walnut logs sprout legs and walk out of the log yard before. Try explaining that one... Best I could figure it was Bubba with a few chains on his ATV

:rotflm: I bought it over 10 years ago at the Woodcraft in VA just south of the Beltway around DC. I think I can say with certainty it is not yours. Funny thing is that the drill press and band saw are the only original heavy machines that I have that I brought when I moved to NC. The dust collector, table saw, joiner/planer, lathe, belt sander, scroll saw, were all purchase here in NC.
Thanks Doug - I almost didn't ask because I didn't want to sound like I was pointing fingers. I have a better drill press now and am not the least bit concerned that some North Carolina thieves stole my jet drill press several years ago. Theft seems to be a big problem. I cant stand a thief but I didn't even report it as stolen. It was simply was not worth the hassle which would have resulted in no action from the police anyways.

Last edited:

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan

Actually, it is not that hard to walk off with a benchtop drill press as I would guess that it is no more than somewhere around 100lbs.

Now, walking off with a free standing drill press is a good deal more awkward (and heavy) unless the thief knows to break it down first and transfer it in sections (which requires actual knowledge).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS