My shop built sander

lastgoodusername

New User
lastgoodusername
One of the most used pieces of equipment in my shop.

Attachments

• P1010001 (2).JPG
    P1010001 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 331
  • P1010002 (2).JPG
    P1010002 (2).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 319
  • P1010003 (2).JPG
    P1010003 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 278

bbrown

Bill
User
Very nice.
What discs do you use?
I'm looking for better ones for my Harbor Freight Disc sander.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
One of the most used pieces of equipment in my shop.
Love it, nicely done. Is the drum a hard drum or an inflatable 'soft' drum? I have rarely used the angled table on my disc sander, but is that something you have wanted or needed? I realize having/making a variable angle table is contrary to the goal of keeping the table set at 90 deg to the disk.
I doubt I'd have the wherewithal to pull this off (building that is).

Mine is used often, except I acquired a conventional belt/disk sander, rather than building something. When I acquired it I thought 'I might find use for it'; now that I have had it (for 20 years) aside from my TS it is likely among the most used pieces of equipment I have (in part because I don't have a jointer or a grinder).
I re-post ads for these sander here on NCWW when I see them because for $70-100 they are generally very worth the space they take up (at least in my shop). When breaking up my Dad's home shop I told my brother to keep Dad's rather than sell it - he didn't think he would use it. A year later he came back to me thanking me for the advice because he agreed 'that he had found many uses for it' (and price was right).
Aside from 'normal sanding' I have used this for:
- I don't have a jointer so I tend to clean up large convex curve cuts (from BS, not TS) with this sander (sometimes belt, sometimes disk, although I need a larger table in disc to do this effectively on larger pieces)
- disc sander - I remove the table and mount to sharpen lathe chisels; fingernail grind on bowl gouge with a homemade Ellsworth jig and most others freehand. I don't have a grinder (except I was gifted a Grizzly wet grinder about a year ago, and haven't sharpened chisels yet).
- when I needed many wooden disks/pucks and I didn't have a lathe, I used a circle jig on the disc sander to true the circles. This was for a Dutch game (Shoelbak sp?; Bas will know it and likely know how to spell it); it's a version of table top shuffleboard where the aim is to send the puck(s) into pockets at end of the board.
- and likely a bunch of other things I can't recall.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Like it ! Make the table out of something exotic ....... then, you can call it the official "lastgoodusername's exotic sander set up " !:p

lastgoodusername

New User
lastgoodusername
Love it, nicely done. Is the drum a hard drum or an inflatable 'soft' drum? I have rarely used the angled table on my disc sander, but is that something you have wanted or needed? I realize having/making a variable angle table is contrary to the goal of keeping the table set at 90 deg to the disk.
I doubt I'd have the wherewithal to pull this off (building that is).

Mine is used often, except I acquired a conventional belt/disk sander, rather than building something. When I acquired it I thought 'I might find use for it'; now that I have had it (for 20 years) aside from my TS it is likely among the most used pieces of equipment I have (in part because I don't have a jointer or a grinder).
I re-post ads for these sander here on NCWW when I see them because for $70-100 they are generally very worth the space they take up (at least in my shop). When breaking up my Dad's home shop I told my brother to keep Dad's rather than sell it - he didn't think he would use it. A year later he came back to me thanking me for the advice because he agreed 'that he had found many uses for it' (and price was right).
Aside from 'normal sanding' I have used this for:
- I don't have a jointer so I tend to clean up large convex curve cuts (from BS, not TS) with this sander (sometimes belt, sometimes disk, although I need a larger table in disc to do this effectively on larger pieces)
- disc sander - I remove the table and mount to sharpen lathe chisels; fingernail grind on bowl gouge with a homemade Ellsworth jig and most others freehand. I don't have a grinder (except I was gifted a Grizzly wet grinder about a year ago, and haven't sharpened chisels yet).
- when I needed many wooden disks/pucks and I didn't have a lathe, I used a circle jig on the disc sander to true the circles. This was for a Dutch game (Shoelbak sp?; Bas will know it and likely know how to spell it); it's a version of table top shuffleboard where the aim is to send the puck(s) into pockets at end of the board.
- and likely a bunch of other things I can't recall.
It is inflatable. It is really nice to use. I have a hand bicycle pump I use for inflation. Being able to let the air psi down and you can get a very contourable sander or pump it up and it will work like a drum sander.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Thanks.
I ask because my discs don't last very long and they are a bit of a pain to change.
Get Coleman to order you a roll of paper, at least 13" wide, then using drywall circle cutter cut your own. Used to get rolls of paper from bargin box, but lately pickings have been slim. For adhesive, Klingspor sells "Spray Away 66". Due to the number of disks I go thru on TFT car bodies, PSA disks are out of my budget, plus they are a pain to remove. I will try to look up exactly what type of paper I buy.

bbrown

Bill
User
Hey Bruce, thanks for the suggestions!
Coleman works at Klingspor I presume?
Drywall circle cutter, hmmm, will have to look that one up for sure.
I also have some issues with the discs remaining stuck down so hopefully the "Spray Away" will work better.
I use the disc sander a ton in my period furniture making - one of the better Harbor Freight tools IMO.
Thanks again,
--Bill

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
This was for a Dutch game (Shoelbak sp?; Bas will know it and likely know how to spell it); it's a version of table top shuffleboard where the aim is to send the puck(s) into pockets at end of the board.
Sjoelbak or just sjoelen. Given the extremely limited space Dutch homes have, it's a minor miracle this game ever became popular. Table is 2 meters long (~6 feet), the pucks are about 2" in diameter
pic2602109.jpg

(image from boardgamegeek.com)

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice.
What discs do you use?
I'm looking for better ones for my Harbor Freight Disc sander.
Klingspor carries some great sanding discs in all sizes. If you're not near a store they do online sales woodworkingshop.com or click the banner at the top of most pages here. They make their own abrasives.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS