My new workbench top is done (for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I added my twin screw vise last weekend and drilled the dog holes this weekend. I'll actually get to use it next weekend. I am so excited I can't hardly stand it. I must admit that I measured at least 6 times before I drilled my first dog hole for fear of wrecking something I had worked on so lovingly. Yes I said "lovingly" - I expect most of you will understand....

It is 3/4 maple and walnut wrapped around a solid core office door. Length 90" x 36" x 2.5". Dog holes are are 9" apart with 6" spacing from the vise end.

Once I am done with Christmas gifts and other neglected projects, I will be building a proper base which will allow for holdfast clearance and drawers for tool storage.

Regards,

Matt

attachment.php

Attachments

• Work Bench.jpg
    Work Bench.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 506

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice job but it looks too good, spill some dye on it or burn it with an iron. I have done both

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looking great, I'm excited for you. And a little of what Phil said :rotflm:

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks great and is on my to do list also. I would start the break-in process with a coffee ring or two before I gouge,stain, or cut into it!

mpholway

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
To all who commented on how good it looks, I have a confession. I actually marred it before it was even finished. As I was drilling the final hole for the speed knob on the twin screw vice I drilled right through my scab and about 1/4" into the surface. Now that it is no longer pristine, I can treat it like a workbench.

mpholway

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeremy,
Of course I don't mind you asking. I made a "bushing jig" with 3/4 in bolts. I'll send a photo and description this weekend when I get back down to the shop.
Matt

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
To all who commented on how good it looks, I have a confession. I actually marred it before it was even finished. As I was drilling the final hole for the speed knob on the twin screw vice I drilled right through my scab and about 1/4" into the surface. Now that it is no longer pristine, I can treat it like a workbench.
Clear epoxy will fix that nicely

Jerry

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
I have been watching some videos on how woodworkers have designed their benches, specifically which kind of vice they used. I really like what you have here. I think the dog holes on the vice will come into great use. This is a characteristic I intend on designing into my own bench some day. Best of luck

jgpncll

New User
Jeremy
Matt, I would really appreciate that. I need to drill dog holes in a bench that I just completed.

Jeremy,
Of course I don't mind you asking. I made a "bushing jig" with 3/4 in bolts. I'll send a photo and description this weekend when I get back down to the shop.
Matt

mpholway

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeremy,

I created a drilling guide/template by epoxying 3/4 inch nuts into a 2x4. I then use a 3/4 drill bit in my drill press to ream a perpendicular 3/4 inch hole that I will refer to as the bushing I then cut the end of the board to ensure 6 inch spacing.

To actually drill the holes I did the following:

a) Clamp a straight edge (#1) to the bench top.
b) Clamp guide (#2) to the straight edge, centered over the twin screw vise end
c) With a 3/4 inch brad point bit, drill the dog hole through the guide bushing
d) Put the 3/4 inch dowel (#3) into the hole you just drilled
e) Position the guide and clamp, as show resting against the dowel and the straight edge
f) Drill the next hole
g) Rinse and repeat

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_1486.jpg
    IMG_1486.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 207
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor