My New to ME Used Drill Press

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
A couple years back, rescued a Delta Homecraft DP from dumpsters. It was unassembled, and missing motor and chuck. This week I needed to drill some holes in the center of a 9 1/4" disk, which is hard to do on a drill press with a four inch throw. Went and got DP from box I brought it home in. Found a 1/3HP motor in correct frame size to fit, and robbed a chuck off another bench top DP. Then I got to thinking "How old is this DP. Did some research, and Delta used the tag that is on DP from 1947 ( the year I was born,) to 1954. This means DP is between sixty six and seventy three years old. Because I was born in November, my new to me DP could be older than I am.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
Nice score! Reminded me I need to get the old Delta Homecraft from my dad's shop up and running. Believe there is a short in the motor. If yours is anything like the one I have, it is rock solid and runs very smooth. My newer model DP, while nice, just isn't the same.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Whom ever owned this drill press before knew how to take care of their tools. Remember it was broken down in the box. The column had the cardboard sleeve it was shipped in on it. Second, the table had not a single mark from a bit striking it, despite being over 60+ years old

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I hope the best of luck. My mistake was buying a Delta made in Taiwan not old enough and it is a POS. Should have bought a new Palmgren or Nova.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I'm guessing the press is an 11-120 11" press.
If so, I've had several of those come through my shop and they are worthy little presses.
For years I used one set up for mortising. It did quite well at that.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS