My new, old tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Just got a new tool for the shop. It's new to me but used and older (a good thing). It was a great situation, I got it out of someone's shop where it was in the way and not used and they helped me to thin my wallet a bit. A win win situation. Well here's my new RAS, it will take a little tuning and then it will be my dedicated dado machine. Do any of ya'll know if I can use my TS dado stack on it, or do I need one designed for a RAS. Also any recommendations as to a good blade for cross cuts in sheet goods? Thanks Jonz, how you got in your shop I don't know, I really struggled with it, but got it in and set up. Dave:)

Radialarmsaw004.jpg

Radialarmsaw001.jpg

Monty

New User
Monty
Nice! I'm not that familiar with RAS's - what kind of crosscut capacity do you get with that thing?

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
Dave,

Looks like you got one of the "good" Craftsman RAS. As far as blades go, you need to make sure you get one with a negative hook, because that will help prevent kickback.

I have the Freud LU91. I got it from Routerbit World. They are out of the midwest, BUT they have $1 shipping and the blades are shipped direct from the Freud HQ in High Point. I got mine the next day:)

Here is the link:
http://routerbitworld.com/product_info.php/cPath/966_968/products_id/20508

I do know that Klingspor has this same blade in stock, because I saw there a couple of weeks ago.

I have used a dado in a RAS, just take your time. I would highly recommend a zero or negative hook dado as well.

Use the owners manual, or get one to help with the setup, there are numerous steps to make sure it is aligned right.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Insomniac, about 18", but I haven't measured

ChrisC,:) thanks, yep I have the owners manual and will follow it closly to get it alligned. Thanks for the blade recoms. I appreciate the info.
Dave

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
Yep, that's the Freud blade I was talking about Dave, that I couldn't remember the #'s for.

I tell you how I got it in...I have the strength of 10 men...either that or I took it apart into about 3 pieces in the back of the truck and carried a piece at a time. :lol:

I know you'll give it a good home. That little Dewalt looks pitiful sitting in it's place, not to mention I need a new place to sit crap now. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS