My New CNC machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Some months ago I asked a question of this group on CNC machines and specifically the Inventables unit that has hit the market. I got some insightful responses,( as I expected), most of which drove me away from that machine toward something bigger. The problem with that is price, and most machines (well, actually all of them) that are of any size are priced over my budget.:mad:

So… in my searching I found a plan to make a CNC machine, a nice sized one for a small shop. The plans come from Kronos Robotics, and are laid out very nicely. There are actually two versions of the machine that one could make, one is a lead screw style, the other is a rack and pinion driven machine. I chose the lead screw version as it was more in my budget to build than the other. This machine most closely is like a shop-bot that I saw somewhere so far as size goes. The actual table size is 40" wide and 48" deep with about 8" between the table and router bit tip.

After about two months of building, and a month of playing and learning the software, I’ve managed to make a few things with it, and it works really nicely. I’m using V-Carve desktop for CAD software, (easy to learn) and Mach 3 for my CAM software, (also very easy to learn). My total cost is about $2800 which includes everything from the building materials to the software and electronics to run it.:)

DSCN12971.JPG

DSCN12961.JPG

DSCN12951.JPG

Now that I’m into the CNC world a little bit, I hope to put this machine to some good use and make some profitable items with it. And I can see now that the suggestion to go bigger than the Inventables machine was great advice!!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Congratulations, Phil, on the great build and update to your shop! Looking forward to see some of your projects that you make with this.

Gilley23

New User
Bryan
Daaaaaaaaaaaang, that's awesome! Gotta love that you built it yourself. Let's see some of the things you've been practicing with!

gmakra

New User
George
Well thats real nice, but where does the pizza come out?

Phil seriously that is real nice and you have to have felt a great sense of accomplishment.
I have always respected people that built stuff from the ground up.
They know their machines strong points and weaknesses and are able to repair them quickly.
In some cases they know the machine better than the designer.

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Congratulations on CNC machine...gotta love 'em.
Be sure to show off some of your stuff...great job on the build.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
nice job and great price point! Now get to carving and show us what that machine can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS