My life in a nutshell

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
My name is Mike Shelley, age 56, born and raised in Frankfort, Indiana. Did a four year stint in the Navy, Signalman 2nd class. Worked for Federal Mogul in my home town before going to the Navy in '68. After discharge I returned to the same job but gradually got promoted and in '76 I took a job in Lake Geneva, Wis with a competitor. Worked there until Oct of '82 when I got layed off. I was the Quality Assurance Mgr at the time. Got a job in Wilson, NC in Feb of '83 and worked with the same company until two years ago when I finally decided that I needed to do something else with my life rather than put up with the constant stress of the job. Soooo one day I said enough is enough and turned in my resignation, took my remaining vacation and began my career as a professional woodworker. No, I didn't just jump in with both feet, I have worked with wood as a hobby for over 20 years and have built most of the furniture in my house. (see my photo album) for a sampling. I have repaired antiques for one of the east coast's largest dealers (Boone's Anitques) during my earlier years here in NC. At the present, I am working with my mentor, his health is not good and I do most of the work. I hope to find a space some where in Wilson to open my own shop in the not to distant future. I have a small backyard shop ( 12 x 24) which has all the necessary equipment and some not so necessary. It may be small but I have built some mighty big pieces in that space. Anyway, thats the nutshell and I hope I haven't bored you too much. :lol:

Monty

New User
Monty
I have enjoyed looking at your photo album - you truly do some great work. I hope to one day have some serious projects like that under my belt.

Soooo one day I said enough is enough and turned in my resignation, took my remaining vacation and began my career as a professional woodworker.

Wow. If only....

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike,

You have too much hair to be 56 :)

And if I live to be 100, don't think I'll achieve the quality work you have demonstrated.

Thanks for posting and sharing,

Roger

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
sapwood said:
And if I live to be 100, don't think I'll achieve the quality work you have demonstrated.

Thanks for posting and sharing

Let me second or third that whichever the case may be

Thanks again,

Steve

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Thanks for the kind words

I'm really glad Steve took on this project and quite frankly its refreshing to be able to see and read some interesting things without all the hullabaloo on the other channel. You all know what I mean. I still lurk there but rarely post. Anyway thanks again and maybe we'll meet face to face sometime.

MIke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS