My latest project, drawers for the pantry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Just got these installed today.

We had a couple of very inexpensive Sterlite plastic drawer sets on wheels that we got from Walmart in the pantry. These things were a PITA since we got them (about a year and a half ago). I finally got around to building some decent built in drawer units to replace them.

Here is the pantry before the upgrade. These are actually taken after LOML had removed a lot of stuff from the pantry floor.

Pantry_drawers_001.JPG

View image in gallery

And here are the new drawer cabinets installed.

Sorry for the pictures. It's quite hard to take pictures in a pantry.

Anyway. The cabinets are made from 3/4" oak plywood. Drawer boxes are 1/2" Lowes blondwood with 1/4" baltic birch bottoms. Face frames and drawer fronts are 3/4" solid oak. Five of the seven drawers all came from the same board. Lot's of bookmatching going on on those drawer fronts. The cabinet on the left has three 9-1/2" deep drawers. The right cabinet has four 7" deep drawers. All of the drawers are 24" wide and 11" front to back.

The cabinets, face frames and drawer fronts (front and back) are stained with Minwax Golden oak and finished with Minwax Polycrilic satin. The drawer boxes and all interior cabinet surfaces are finished with Zinsser SealCoat dewaxed shellac.

Thanks to everyone that offered tips in my finishing thread. I used those comments and advice a lot on this small project.

pviser

New User
paul
How about the slide specifications? BB? Full or overtravel? Load limit? I love the bookmatching, a refinement which I am just now adding to my own work.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hope the LOML doesn't see this!:BangHead:

Really nice work and this "little project" has been on my to do list since I retired (6 years ago).

A really nice custom piece there Mark. I am sure that the cabinets will be enjoyed a lot more than the plastic tubs. Betcha they hold a bunch too!

Well Done!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Wayne

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done and a whole lot more sturdy and functional. :icon_cheers

Good to hear that the finishing stuff worked well for you. It wasn't so daunting after all.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Mark,

Wonderful job! How long did it take you?

Steve

I don't really keep track of the time actually spent on projects. I worked on these over the past 3 or 4 weekends, along with some other small projects.

How about the slide specifications? BB? Full or overtravel? Load limit? I love the bookmatching, a refinement which I am just now adding to my own work.

I had some drawer slides left over from a lot I got on CL a while back. They are epoxy coated 12" 3/4 extension rated for 75lbs. Since the drawer boxes are only 11" deep, that gives good access to the contents.

Hope the LOML doesn't see this!:BangHead:​

Really nice work and this "little project" has been on my to do list since I retired (6 years ago).​

A really nice custom piece there Mark. I am sure that the cabinets will be enjoyed a lot more than the plastic tubs. Betcha they hold a bunch too!​

Well Done!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc​

Wayne​

The way LOML packs things in, these hold plenty! :gar-La;
She still wants one more shelf put in at the back side of the pantry, behind these cabinets.

Nicely done and a whole lot more sturdy and functional. :icon_cheers

Good to hear that the finishing stuff worked well for you. It wasn't so daunting after all.

Not daunting at all. The shellac worked out real well. After it dried in the drawer boxes I just lightly sanded to remove the fuzzies and they were nice a smooth again. Thanks for the tips.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Got the shelf installed today. I'll let her put everything back in the pantry.

Since I was installing that shelf, I went ahead and put one in the laundry room. She has been wanting one in there for a while so she can pull clothes out of the dryer and hang them right up. I just throw them in a basket and walk them down the hall to our closet and hang them up there. Oh, well, to each their own I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS