My Latest and Biggest

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
So I realize this isnt quite up to what many of you are doing here, but as a newbie, I'm tickled with how this is turning out. Started out a shade under 14 inches in diameter and now down to around 12.5 or so after rounding out. Got the wood from a buddy who is a forum member here. I'm shocked at just how nice the inside was and hoping the rest are just as pretty.

Been documenting along the way so I can go back and learn, but no need to put all the pics here, just where I started with rough shaping with the chainsaw and then where I'm at now with it. Throwing some sanding sealer on it and will continue to sand tomorrow and turn it around and hopefully not screw it up hollowing it out.

I'd always said I had no interest in doing larger bowls and was happy with the 6 inch max I'd set for myself... but now I understand the allure.

Also just a couple random penguins I made for Mothers Day. Mom seemed to like them ok.

Big bowl2sized.jpg
Big bowl8sized.jpg
penguinssized.jpg

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rob, Rob, Rob - you have been swallowed by the dark-side. The allure (for a bigger tool) is just the beginning.🤑

Rob in NC

Rob
Senior User
Rob, Rob, Rob - you have been swallowed by the dark-side. The allure (for a bigger tool) is just the beginning.🤑
Yes, sir... been through it time and time again... But I do know that my lathe has outboard turning and I can get an extension that will bring me to 18 inch turning max so this should keep me sated for some time now!
This larger turning did solidify the notion that I need to sure up and beef up my stand a little more. Had a little wobble at this stage...
Big bowl3sized.jpg

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
Rob- I met you in the mountains when I was looking at a Robust lathe. I love the penguins. The wood looks like Oak that you stained for effect. Am I close?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS