My Holtzapfel Bench - COMPLETE

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
Nice thread and sweeet bench :). So you have all those nicely tuned plane and didn't have a workbench?! I bet you are loving them now :).

One idea on the mini-me double screw vise: buy/borrow a wood threading kit. I borrowed one to make this: http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/f29/wood-screws-moxon-double-screw-vise-thread-leg-vise-33341/

You should point Chris to your thread!

Thx for the tip on the woodthreading - don't know if I'm ready to take that one on.

As for the tuned planes, I really got bitten by the galoot bug over a year ago when I got a hold of some of my great uncle's old tools, including a Bailey #3. I've been selling some on eBay and I have a pretty good inventory of parts. I enjoy resurrecting old castoff tools and some of the machining/metal work has come in handy in other areas. Basically, I have a few collectable ones, and the rest I restore/tune and try them out to see if they can unseat the "starter", loser is to be put on the market. I rationalized some of the purchases e.g. LN LA Jack and LV Large Shoulder Plane as part of the "bench". :gar-Bi Next up projects are a wall tool chest, a sharpening bench, and a plane till.

Funny you should mention pointing Chris to the thread, I actually sent him an e-mail when I finished the thread and he sent me a very complementary reply a few hours later.

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
Thanks for the step by step. I have a Sjobergs bench. But, you know what, anyone can buy a bench. There is no sense of accomplishment in purchasing something as opposed to creating something with your own hands. I also noticed that you gave credit to each tool and their manufacturer. The one credit you left out, as I could tell from the pictures was that you created it in my garage. I do not mind that you used my garage, I just dont know when you did it or why you could not have cleaned it up some before or after the pictures. It still looks like it did while you were creating your bench. Would you please come back and do some clean up. Just kidding, am glad to see that I am not the only one who does not work in Norm Abrams shop.
Please keep us posted on the bench you make for that handsome young lad in the last pictures.
James

:gar-La; I was wondering if anybody would notice your...er...my disaster area. I considered doing a pre-emptive strike and make some pithy remark. Thanks for noticing...HAHA. Funny story about the garage for those fans of Animal House, etc., SWMBO was taking a few pictures of my mess to send to a friend who he was complaining to, I thought it would be humorous, seeings as it WAS night out, that the photo should be "moonlit" like the scene in Grease at the dance while it was dark and the spotlight was panning through the crowd. Friend got a kick out of it and said it was like "Where's Waldo?".

Normally I am very retentive/organized except for when I am closing out a project and things go flying everywhere - although I do know where to find most things. The state of the garage has been a sore subject w/SWMBO, but I've told her that everything will be right with the world once the bench is done.....maybe after the cabinet....:rotflm:

eyekode

New User
Salem
If you can make that bench I am sure it woodthreading would be no big deal :). You could either buy a kit like this: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=41791&cat=1,43000
Or:
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/manualwoodthreader1-126tpi.aspx

Or see if someone will let you borrow one. It is the cheapest way I can think of to make a functional twin screw vise.

And I am not surprised Chris wrote back. He probably has the most popular workbench book of all time but the fraction of people who buy the book AND complete the bench is probably very small :). In fact the lumber for my bench is sitting under my porch right now. It isn't afraid at all. It knows it is safe there for quite some time!
Salem

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Wow!! I can't add much to what's been written - you did a great job on the bench! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Please let us know how you like your vise selection and location after you use it a while. I find myself wishing I'd used a tail vise on my euro style bench.

The twin screw looks like it will get used a lot.

Beautiful job.

Chuck

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Wunderbar!

You've made a bench that will last several lifetimes and on which you'll build more than just 'stuff', you'll build memories.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS